F Engrave and easel

Greetings. I’ve spent almost a week and 12 hours reading and trying to research this but to no avail.

I have the x carve 1000mm, with dewalt 611 spindle. I’ve done some fun stuffs to see if my assembly is up to snuff, and other than depth issues, which I believe to be flat surface problems, I think I have it worked out.

I have some 3mm 1/8th shank 30 degree v tips, and want to do some lettering with custom fonts, but damn if I can get it to work.

I have inkscape, and f engrave. Inkscape I got sorted out, but I can’t for the life of me decipher what I’m supposed to do with engrave. I type my simple text, “James” and then what do I do?

If I save as svg it creates 1760 paths in easel!! Clearly something is out of whack.

Thank you for your time

I can’t help you with the Easel part of your question because when I was using F-Engrave I saved the toolpath directly from it, Then, I used UGS to send to my CNC.

AHA. okay thanks for that reference thread.

My issue now is:

1. I may have bent/broken something on z axis because i started carving but it was waaaay too deep and I didn’t know how to stop the machine. I hit return to zero and it went apeshit on me. got that sorted out I think but I’ll have to put a video to really show what noise is happening.

2. when i first fire up f engrave and pick a text, it shows the exact path/effect I want, but when I try to adjust the depth ONLY, the recalculate changes the cut to go around the font instead of a single line through the font, if you get my meaning.

How do I correct that?

Thanks for your time