F engrave inlay testing

Yep, you are right!

This is my test (straight endmill) cleanup toolpath and, yes, multipass applies to it as well.

I just read “V-Carve” in both attributes and did not think to activate it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Camotics… and it’s free :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And here’s a tip for you for helping with my F-Engrave inquiries :slight_smile:

Camotics best feature is its ability to load multiple toolpaths and display their accumulative effect on the stock piece.

To do so though, you need to show (trick) the program that you are using different tools. Just add a M6 Tnumber line in the beginning of each gcode file that you load and edit the respective tool in Camotics tool library that corresponds to your tool number.

Then hit simulate and sit back and watch you piece being cut by all your toolpaths and all your tools.

After the simulation, do not forget to delete the M6 lines, cause GRBL does not like them (unless you translate M6 in bCNC, but this is another story).

1 Like

I am having the same problem described here; a flat surface at the bottom of the base for my inlay, but a sharp point on top of the inlay, which does not let the inlay go all the way into the base. I think you can see this in the picture. I’m using a new Whiteside bit that I do not believe has any flat on it.

I’m also including the screenshots of the F-Engrave software, and I think these show that the actual carved pieces are exactly as they should be. The base is carved in two parallel cuts, and the v-cleanup then puts a nice flat area between them. But the inlay is left with a sharp point on top.

I’m wondering if my problem is the width of the cuts, which creates two parallel cuts that are very close together. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

I know I can fix this by sanding just a little off the inlay, but this software is so cool that I also know that I can get it perfect without doing that.

These pieces, by the way, are a small piece of a much larger piece I will do when I get all this right. The A and R, and the jagged points of the lines, seemed to be the challenges, so I’m working on a small part that cuts very quickly.

Thanks!

screenshots.pdf (181.0 KB)

!

Another picture; it only lets me post one at a time.

Did you ever get your issue resolved? I’m am finally exploring F-Engrave for some v-carve inlay parts I am going to be doing and was curious if you had more information on the settings you used to mitigate the problem you were seeing.

I know this was posted 4 years ago, but I’m just looking for help now. I have a BobsCNC E4 and am using F-Engrave. I created a dxf file to carve a pocket but don’t know how to get the wood inside the outline cleared away at the same depth. Can you help me? Thanks!

I have seen the same issue with a particular 60° bit. Others work fine.

I have added an option to my z-axis touch-plate script which allows me to add a small offset to the zero value, which can compensate for the poor tip on the bit. IE: raising the zero by .1mm as an example.