F-Engrave Noob needs help

So I finally got myself a V-bit and wanted to do some V-carves. I’ve only used easel and have not touched any of the G-Code stuff so I have zero experience fiddling around with it (also a little intimidated by it). So I installed F-Engrave and tried to find as much info as I could on using it.

I think I got the settings figured out, but after I have the G-Codes saved. Now what? How do I import it in to Easel? or do I need to send it to something else? once set up with easel, is it the same as an easel carve, just home my bit to the lower left? or if I have it start from center in F-engrave should I home it there? I don’t really want to mess anything up, just want to have some idea of what I’m doing before I start.

Thanks again guys!

Thanks Phil!

Searched For F-engrave stuff, not much came up. Browsed through that post, some very insightful stuff!

1 Like

maybe a stupide question…
but if the zeroing manualy done in easel it’s satisfying for my use
will it be beginer-userfriendly to send it with easel ?

okay many thanks
yep i use the paper trick to make my zero

it’s juste i’ve tried UGS one time…
i launch the zeroing, detroy my z limit switch, and nerver tried again XD

ho i finaly… after 2h research, find how to make the gcode compatible…
(thx G64 P0.001)…

well now i need some freetime to test this !

(let’s seach for feedrate etc recomandation…)

sorry if this has been asked before, did my first v-carve and it turned out ok, then ran the cleanup pass with my 1/8 straight endmill the depth of carve was about an 1/8" which it carved out in one pass and made a horrible sound. I don’t see anywhere that you can set the depth per pass for the cleanup as I’d rather do multiple passes with the cleanup.

1 Like

Little late, but here is my process. Metric.

1. Start F-Engrave

2. Main Window > File > Open DXF/Bitmap File

3. Main Window > Set preferences
    Image properties
    Image Height: 50.8 mm (2”) (default, but this is how you control the size - F-Engrave will rescale as needed)
    Line Thickness: 0.254 (0.010”) default

Image Position and Orientation
Origin Bot-Left (personally, I find the center easier to locate than the any other spot)

Gcode Properties
Feed Rate: 750 mm/min (default 127)
Plunge Rate: 0 NA for v-Carve
Z-Safe: 3.0 mm
Cut Depth: NA for V-Carve

Click V-Carve button

1. Main Window > Settings > V-Carve Settings > Set preferences
    Cutter Type
    V-bit Angle: 60 (my preferred V-bit for lettering)
    V-bit Diameter: 6.35 mm (1/4")
    Cut Depth Limit -2.0 mm Found this is plenty deep enough - about 0.080"

Multipass Cutting
V-Carve Finish Pass Stock: 0.5 mm This gives a cleanup pass of about 0.020"
V-Carve Max Depth per Pass: -1.5

Cleanup Operations
Cleanup Cut Diameter: 3.175 (1/8”)
V-Bit Cleanup Step: 0.127 (default is 1.27 but that crashes F-Engrave)

Click “Calculate V-Carve”
Click “Calculate Cleanup” Note - depending on job, straight-bit or V-bit cleanup files may or may not be generated
Save Cleanup G-Code > x_clean.ngc
Save V Cleanup G-Code > x_V_clean.ngc `

1. Close V-Carve Settings window.

2. Main window > File > Save G-Code File > x.ngc

1 Like

Another first time f-engraver here, with some questions, as my first attempt was really smokin’.

I tried with a Dremmel 125 bit as it was the only bit resembling a 1/8" v-bit I could get here. I just used the default values from F-engrave, except for the bit size which I put at 37% and width at 6mm. After a dry run which didn’t do anything strange, I stuck in the bit and fired it up (with UGS). It made a few gentle pokes, they dived into the mdf in a cloud of smoke. I then hovered over the smoking log with my vacuum cleaner for the ten minutes more or less it took to finish.

At the end my bit looked pretty sick:

and the mdf had an “interesting” burnt out engraving.

Here is the gcode file with all the middle bits removed for space.

G90
G21
G17 G64 P0.001 M3 S3000
F127.0
G0 Z6.350
G0 X-0.048 Y1.178
G1 Z0.000
G1 X-0.048 Y1.178 Z0.000

(Many lines of G1 and few G0)

G1 X165.409 Y0.000 Z0.000
G0 Z6.350
M5
M2

My X-carve is the original 1000 model with the original spindle and not a lot of use yet.

I didn’t bother with the finishing pass due to the smoke damage to the test piece and the bit.

So, please, what should my next step be?

Yeah, that’s coming, but it’s a major challenge from where I am. In the meantime, any other suggestions? Faster, slower?

Sorry, I was bit grouchy (and frustrated) yesterday. I’m in Guatemala, no credit card, my bank’s debit card doesn’t work with paypal, the company I can use to buy stuff from ebay or Amazon generally dobles the cost per item, the local stores don’t sell anything remotely “unusual”, etc.

I am going to try another bank that apparently will let me use my debit card with paypal, and then buy a moderate load of bits from ebay that way, or else borrow my friend’s credit card and pay him.

After reading someone’s blog were they used the Dremel bit with a Shapeoko I was hoping to get a bit of use, at least, out of that.

Good/bad/ugly: finally a step by step! This is how(and importantly, why). Many thanks.