I started playing around with f-engrave a short time ago but had trouble getting an accurate Z height - those pointy bits don’t play well with using a sheet of paper to set the Z!. As I was rebuilding my controller, I decided to make a proper Z probe for it. Now setting Z height is a breeze.
I’m impressed with f-engrave, excellent results, easy to use and very affordable (free!)
Material is 18mm MDF, bit is a cheap, hardware store 90 mitre bit vee bit, 1/4". Cleanup was done with a 2mm, 2 flute endmill.
This is as it came off the X-Carve, no cleanup done at this stage. The line parallel to the character outline, is just a few fibers and scraped off with a fingernail. Turning on the setting to do a perimeter cut in the cleanup code may fix this.
Finish of the cut is good but I think I could turn up the spindle speed a little. The bottom of the cut is perfect, due I think to the accurate Z height setting.
A quick cleanup with aforementioned fingernail and this was the result. A bit of sanding might be necessary as well.
Tomorrow, I’ll try cutting some real wood (baltic pine) and see if the speeds and feed hold up OK.