Favorite Bits

What’s funny is I just read some CNC articles on Woodworker Journal and they said not to use downcuts on MDF. LOL When I see articles like that in magazines, I wonder how much expertise the author really has or is he/she just repeating what they’ve heard from others so they can go to print on a “new” technology. (New as in for hobby use).

I trust the people’s judgement in this forum much more since I’ve seen their work and know they are beating their heads against the gantries of CNCdom nearly every day. :slight_smile:

If Robert or Phil or several others say a particular technique works yet it goes against mainstream publications… I got with the locals here.

2 Likes

Avoiding downcut endmills/router bits in MDF makes sense since the dust expands after cutting and will fill a slot if there isn’t some means to evacuate it.

Ok guys, what’s your favorite 1/4" bit for hard maple. Every bit I get dulls out quickly when doing long mills on this stuff. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I’ll take a look! it’s not really the cutting issue, it’s the longevity of the bits.

These are very durable. There are also a couple of coated versions that are supposed to increase bit lifetime.

I’ve done many jobs in Paduk, Wenge, Purpleheart, and Bloodwood with the same bit and it is still performing well. (usually at .125 doc with 40% step over pushed at 30 IPM)

1 Like

I’ve used the following, that I found on Amazon.
1/16 end mill
30 degree engraving bits

I need to restock after some of my downcut bits have broke, I’ll definitely check out some of the links shared here

Quick question, I’m going to start carving into graphite and was wondering what material do you select in Easel since graphite is not a choice?

You have to use custom settings for speeds. For the graphite I am using, this is what I use… based on advice from someone who understands chipload. Hope this helps

Carve settings:
Dewalt at slowest speed.
Note carve rates below

For the ¼” double flute carbide bit tool, a feed rate of 120 IPM should be fine and a plunge rate of 30 IPM is good also. You want a radial depth of cut (RDoC) or chipload of .014”. I would keep the RPM at 16,000 (or slightly less) and you should be ok. (In reality I dial back the speed to 110 or 100)

For the 1/8” diameter ball nose tool, a feed rate of 75 IPM should be good and a plunge rate of 20 IPM should also work. With this tool you want a chipload of roughly .007”, also keeping the RPM at 16,000 or slightly less if possible.

Typically, with abrasive composite materials similar to graphite we recommend RPM’s in the 9-12,000 range.

I am new to the CNC world and just received mine the other day and still assembling it. I failed to order any bits with it. Can I get bits from Lowe’s or Home Depot to get me going?

@JeffStrauser. You can get 60 and 90 degree vbits. Occasionally you can get a 1/4” spiral up cut bit all from the big box store. Key hole bit are available also.

Thank you I will have to try find some there. I want to start going!