Fidget Spinners?

$6,465,690 to be exact… (on behalf of ocd’ers everywhere…). :wink:

2 Likes

I see them quite often mostly people that hang out at vape shops ( electronic cigarette shops). Now I am a supplier to some of those shops. Any one interested in making and selling check out the local vape shops and have a chat with the owner. with in a week or so I will be putting together a pack of cad files to sell on ebay. because of many inquiries on the files them selves.

I have some plans for a few special edition fidget spinners that no one has dreamed up yet.

1 Like

Fidget spinners seem to have come out of nowhere and now they are really heating up.

1 Like

Here’s my version. attached the ball bearing to a Clevis pin so i can use it as a key chain. Keychain round spinners | Inventables

just so you know what some go for.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-3-of-8-Spencer-039-s-Metal-Art-Stator-fidget-spinner-Titanium-not-torqbar-/201675231655?hash=item2ef4c7d1a7%3Ag%3Anq4AAOSwAuZX5bvP&nma=true&si=RBe9dgx6WB%252FzrhKUQmm351UqfUY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

My gawd is that made from some famous machinist or something… Thats nuts

Should we have a contest to see who can set the record for highest price sale of fidget spinners?

I sold the one I made for $8. That’s the current record for this contest as far as I’m concerned.

Who’s in?

3 Likes

I sell.lots of my large bloodwpod spinners for $35 to $45 ( depending on bearing type) on Etsy and eBay

Sounds like I need to add a few more rules to the contest:

1. The contest is limited to fidget spinners made on X-Carve or Carvey with Easel.

2. You have to show proof that you sold it. I’ll post the Paypal page for my sale when I get to my computer.

3. Sales must be between Dec 11th and Dec 31st.

Am I missing anything?

1 Like

Would currency matter? If I sold a spinner for 35$ canadian does it count for 35 or does it count for the 250$ it converts to American? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Great question!!! The people on this forum always think of more things than me. I think to be fair we need to measure all sales in the same currency or else our Japanese customers who sell a spinner for 1000 yen will automatically win even though that is about $8 USD.

If you sell it in another currency that is cool but also post a screenshot with conversion to USD on the date of the sale.

I’m probably going to make a new thread for this contest once we work out all the details.

Anything else I missed?

@ShaneBell what was the inside diameter of the holes and what was the outside diameter of the brass?

Also how did you push the brass into the aluminum?

@Zach_Kaplan What about spinners sold for charity? Some people will spend more if the item’s money is going for a good cause.

@HalfNormal I think that’s the kind of creative thinking this contest is trying to encourage. I hope as a community we learn something about 3D carving but we also learn something about what provides value for customers.

So I will accept spinners sold for charity!

The holes were made .25in. and the final hole diameter after machining was .248in. The brass rod was purchased as .25 with a variance of 251-.256 in the section that i had used. I have a 20 ton press but opted for a 16oz. hammer and a little grease to aid insertion. The bearing hole I do not remember the measurements off the top of my head but the bearing was pulled from a dremel. A test hole was made to see what the final hole for the bearing would have to be for a snug fit. The bearing retains it’s position but can be removed with firm pressure from a thumb. The spinner is currently on loan to a group of individuals that use them regularly for the next few weeks to make sure the bearing retains it’s position without a set screw. At this time one of the testers has bought the spinner and will take possession of it after testing and a repolish at $85 his offer. I am pleased and more aluminium stock should arrive tomorrow. In a few weeks production of a new spinner design will be started with a limited number of production for market testing as they will be more time consuming to make. This is where i believe a smaller xcarve would really shine due to higher rigidity maybe some day i will get me one if this keeps up. Ok so I seem to be going off topic with this but I am very excited. By the way the bearings that are normally used are skate board bearings known as a 608 or 608zz 22mm outer dia. 8mm core dia. 7mm thickness.

I am making a little project that others can make that will aid in 2 sided machining of these spinners if anyone would be interested. I gusss you would call it a alignment pin fixture. Easel - spinner fixture

2 Likes

Can you please explain how it works?

There are other ways to do this but I chose this rout. The stock to be cut will have the alignment holes pre cut to match the pins on the jig. the nuts that are on the jig were measured for thickness they are all within .001 of one another and act as spacers in case mistakes are made so the jig will not get cut into. Use of jig place part into jig all through holes can be cut ok so you dont need a jig for that but say you want to cut designs on the face of the spinner and would like to have a design on the other side also with the jig you cut the design flip the stock over and cut the other face. without some sort of jig flipping a part over and cutting the other side and having everything line up is not easy well for me anyway. I made this jig mostly for cutting spinners into full 3D shapes instead of a flat 2D shape. I find this to be useful for making spinners in easel also to put a carving on both sides with the exception then you flip it over make all of the cuts that go full depth 0 that way you can keep the tabs. when I use jigs I clamp scrap wood to the wasteboard and cut a pocket that the jig fits into this way before I start I know everything is squared up with the machine.

1 Like

The official fidget spinner contest has been posted.

1 Like