Fidget Spinners?

@HalfNormal I think that’s the kind of creative thinking this contest is trying to encourage. I hope as a community we learn something about 3D carving but we also learn something about what provides value for customers.

So I will accept spinners sold for charity!

The holes were made .25in. and the final hole diameter after machining was .248in. The brass rod was purchased as .25 with a variance of 251-.256 in the section that i had used. I have a 20 ton press but opted for a 16oz. hammer and a little grease to aid insertion. The bearing hole I do not remember the measurements off the top of my head but the bearing was pulled from a dremel. A test hole was made to see what the final hole for the bearing would have to be for a snug fit. The bearing retains it’s position but can be removed with firm pressure from a thumb. The spinner is currently on loan to a group of individuals that use them regularly for the next few weeks to make sure the bearing retains it’s position without a set screw. At this time one of the testers has bought the spinner and will take possession of it after testing and a repolish at $85 his offer. I am pleased and more aluminium stock should arrive tomorrow. In a few weeks production of a new spinner design will be started with a limited number of production for market testing as they will be more time consuming to make. This is where i believe a smaller xcarve would really shine due to higher rigidity maybe some day i will get me one if this keeps up. Ok so I seem to be going off topic with this but I am very excited. By the way the bearings that are normally used are skate board bearings known as a 608 or 608zz 22mm outer dia. 8mm core dia. 7mm thickness.

I am making a little project that others can make that will aid in 2 sided machining of these spinners if anyone would be interested. I gusss you would call it a alignment pin fixture. Easel - spinner fixture

2 Likes

Can you please explain how it works?

There are other ways to do this but I chose this rout. The stock to be cut will have the alignment holes pre cut to match the pins on the jig. the nuts that are on the jig were measured for thickness they are all within .001 of one another and act as spacers in case mistakes are made so the jig will not get cut into. Use of jig place part into jig all through holes can be cut ok so you dont need a jig for that but say you want to cut designs on the face of the spinner and would like to have a design on the other side also with the jig you cut the design flip the stock over and cut the other face. without some sort of jig flipping a part over and cutting the other side and having everything line up is not easy well for me anyway. I made this jig mostly for cutting spinners into full 3D shapes instead of a flat 2D shape. I find this to be useful for making spinners in easel also to put a carving on both sides with the exception then you flip it over make all of the cuts that go full depth 0 that way you can keep the tabs. when I use jigs I clamp scrap wood to the wasteboard and cut a pocket that the jig fits into this way before I start I know everything is squared up with the machine.

1 Like

The official fidget spinner contest has been posted.

1 Like

Thank you for this new project. I purchased two kits and have been working with the X-Carve and my ULS Laser to make these. It has been fun creating new projects like this. Well done Zach Kaplan and team for brining on the concept!

1 Like

Those are killer!

Please post them to the official challenge page as remakes to claim your rewards!

1 Like

Zach, thank you Sir. I have posted them as requested. I am working through the details of converting them all to Easel products. I appreciate the feedback and definitely appreciate bringing the concept to the forum. Well done!

V/R

J.R.

I just bought one here and spins over 5 minutes!!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XJJTC7J

That’s cool. Has anyone made a cap?

i make caps some threaded and some press fit will get of the the 2 i have when i get to the shop

So I just got my xcarve less then a month ago so I am starting to work out the kinks about 100% of the mistakes have definitely been user error lol but I received a 25$ gift card in my email for some reason still not sure who sent it but I bought one of thier fidget spinner kits and it just came in the mail (also @Zach_Kaplan your shipping is amazing takes like 2 days from when I order stuff to get here I live I Iowa) so I’m excited to play around with it and try and not mess up lol

3 Likes

Nice!

I am trying to recreate the spinner on Mo’s recent video. However, I am very new to this and when I do the ‘combine’ command I no longer see the bearing circles. Please help! I just received my spinner kit today and want to make one tonight!! Thanks

1 Like

As long as the outside shape is closed, you can set it to a fill of any depth. Set the bearing circle to zero depth so it is white and combine. You can change the resulting shape to an outline without a fill.

Try that and see if it solves the problem.

2 Likes

:point_up: what he said !!

1 Like

Got it figured out by talking to Mo. thank you

1 Like

Mo helped me fix it. Thanks!

1 Like

I created one using my old bicycle chain
Saw it from this website

2 Likes