Finally looking like an X-Carve again... well kind of

Hah I wiped up the actual blood befor the picture. Tho’s O’Flutes are sharp! I can’t wait to get it together and give Mach3 a workout. Thanks for the controllers by the way.

1 Like

Ya it moves through osmosis.

2 Likes

Curtis, can you give a specific setup for getting Mach3 to run your machine? I want to switch over to it but have no idea how I use a breakout board or what hardware to get. I have a license for it which is why I’m looking to use it.

I wish I could help you out. I’m just getting started with it myself. From my understanding it’s a 48v power supply for the stepper drivers. A 5v power supply for the breakout board. And a stepper driver for each motor. For a basic setup. I’m starting out with a setup I got from @Earwigger. Maybe he can help out with particulars.

Hey @CoryMccormick - years ago, I started here. I bought their book and built my first CNC machine out of MDF, threaded rod and roller skate bearings. It was a GREAT experience. Fortunately for you, you only need to look through this list of tutorials and find those concerning motion electronics. It’s actually quite simple. I prefer Mach 3 with a parallel interface because it is all I know. I suggest you start with a USB interface and move on from there. Better electronics makes all the difference in the world. Once you get a USB based machine working - you will teach me and @CurtisCummings how to upgrade to Mach4.

https://buildyourcnc.com/CNCandLinearMotionRelatedTutorials.aspx

1 Like

Care to share the file for the y axis upgrade?

I can see what I can do. I made them in Aspire. So I’ll have to see how I can export them. They create an additional 3" of clearance below the gantry. Unless you’ve up graded to the 5.75 Z Axis (search for Phils Z axis upgrade) they’ll be to tall for your stock Z.

Hmmm… Cant seem to figure out how to upload an SVG File…

New Y Plates DXF.dxf (103.5 KB)

Here’s a DXF File

2 Likes

@Earwigger @CurtisCummings Thank you for the link and info!

2 Likes

Thanks so much I’m gonna get parts ready for the upgrade

1 Like

I want to be able to laser engrave fatter things that’s all the z upgrade will come in due time. What bit did you cut these with?

I used a 1/8th inch o’flute for the holes
A 1/4inch o’flute for the profile cut out

Toolstoday.com.

@Zach_Kaplan

Woah

2 Likes

My new belts arrived yesterday.

3 Likes

How will you handle backlash? Just curious.

Mach 3

I like it! What is the width?

15 x 15 mm Perfect to mount to the support rail under my Y Axis rails. Ill have to cut new X Plates to move the motor down.

1 Like