First Cut. I need some help

Here is my first project. I have a few question. It did not make tabs during cut so when it got around material it pinched and stopped the spindle, blew power strip and cut dust shoe also ripped brushes off. It also must have made a pass across artwork.
I am assuming this is because the piece came loose without tabs. I’m not sure where to start to figure out what happened and I am also wondering if I can fix the shoe or will I need a replacement. Also during the detail cut it went deeper around the edges. I don’t know if that would have been fixed or completed if power wasn’t lost so I will fix tab issue and try again. to see.
yellow marks are where it was cut through and where spindle got pinched. Red marks are where detail cut went deeper and mark was on waste board not sure what it is or where it came from.
Any and all advice welcome.
https://ibb.co/87Cf87w
https://ibb.co/z4tXCD0
IMG_9142 IMG_9143 63245444548__1668CDDD-95CE-42CE-965A-1F55BC972126

Was there a reason you did not use tabs? You can also use the glue and tape method if you don’t want the tab. If you are cutting the material out you need to fasten or secure it somehow or it is going to move on you. And welcome to the forums.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, as Wayne stated you need to secure your work better. I use the glue and tape method now for the majority of my projects. On your dust boot keep it about 1/8" above your work piece and be sure your hose has plenty of slack in it so it is not being pulled when it moving around. With the boot sticking off the front of your Z it caries a lot of leverage and on a stock x carve it will create issues like you see on the bottom of your cuts.

My dust boot has some battle scars as well I would put it back together and run it

1 Like

I have tabs selected they are just not showing up in the cut. That’s why I’m perplexed

You most likely lost Z steps. You’re endmill was lower than it “thought”. That’s why you cut too deep and gouged the piece. That’s why it plowed through your tabs.
How did you set zero when you changed bits?
What bits did you use?
Were you cutting the profile with your detail bit?

1 Like

@NeilFerreri1 is correct. You may have put the tabs in but it sounds like you cut thru them. Did you happen to notice when it was cutting the profile if it raised up to cut the tabs? If everything is not set correctly and calibrated it can raise to cut the tabs but if there is no material there it does no good.

1 Like

Used previous z point after changing bit.
I think I’m measuring the piece wrong. I have a sacrifice piece of wood under it and it etched that so it’s probably that. I’ll try again

Also, you have to reset your Z depth every time you change your bit. Try that also.

1 Like