Fixed Dust Extractor

No worries. Glad I could help.

Hi Francis

Great looking design do you have the file for the standard spindle?

Cheers

Paul

OK Iā€™m getting ready to upgrade to the 611 and figured I would come back to this design. Here is a question. Can I just slide the dust shoe onto the mount and allow it to move up and down freely dependent on the thickness of material or does it absolutely have to get screwed in and tightened?

I donā€™t know why but I feel like this design would work really well if it just ā€œfloatedā€ on top of the material and moved up and down for materials of different thickness. Figured Iā€™d ask before I wasted time printing it.

Thanks!

1 Like

Just ordered mine from 3D Hubs. Canā€™t wait to try this out!

+1 on the stock 24v spindle version file please. Or interested in someone printing it up for me for a fee.

Fred, I donā€™t think a stock 24V version was posted. If you find a file I can print it for you. In the mean time Iā€™m going to swap my 24V back on and do some measurements. Maybe I can modify the existing file. I think it is just a matter of where the opening is.

For some reason the file i downloaded posted by @FrancisMarasigan is crashing windows explorer. Is there a better/newer version of these files on the web i can download? I noticed the zip file has 2 dots before the extension, is that supposed to be there? I can extract the file just fine, but when i click on the extracted folder or one of the files it crashes windows explorer. Thanks in advance!

DustShoe.zip (216.4 KB)

Worked fine for me. Printing nowā€¦ here is a re-zip of the contents

I meant to respond yesterday, but ran out of time. I was able to make it work. It is strange, but in order to make my computer work with those files i had to set the .stl program associativity for the right program. I work as a designer/drafter and we use 3D modeling everyday, but for some reason our computers are not set up right for that kind of file. My computer still will not let me select the initially extracted files without crashing windows explorer though, its so strangeā€¦

Its all good now though, I was able to read the files and open them then share them with a coworker who runs a 3D printer. I should have my dust shoe parts in less than a week. Thank you @DanielPotthast for rezipping the files and sharing though!

My print just came in. Looks great. Canā€™t wait to get it on the machine.

Just noticed that it came in with the tabs still. Mine was made with these as well. You can see the triangles that are on the back part of the extrusion T filler. The part that slides into the maker slide from the bottom. I used an utility knife to score the line. About twenty light passes and the triangle snapped right off, clean and clear. If it doesnā€™t come off completely clean, a little sandpaper or a file can smooth out the edge so that it smoothly slides into the T-channels on the maker slide.

Happy X-Carving!!!

Yes they are overhang support during printing. I usually build my own support than rely on the slicer. For me I just snap them after printing, no sanding or pre cutting mark.

Looks like you print it on the different orientation cause I see some mark of support inside. If you follow the right orientation for printing, you wont need to turn on support on the slicer and you will have clean print.

@FrancisMarasigan, I really like this design, but it does restrict work height a bit as pointed out here, further up the thread. Is there any other file format than STL you could share? I would like to use your existing file as a starting point, make it a little thinner, extend the rectangular-duct section to behind the carriage and the circular adaptor up on the back side. I think I could gain another half inch or so of work depth, without having to consider pocketing my wasteboard.

Thanks in advance for any help!

(edit - originally typed ā€˜svgā€™ not ā€˜stlā€™)

1 Like

@ErikJenkins Looking at your picture does your dewalt 611 have some sort of air diverter on the bottom of it? If so, how did you make/attach it? I have my dust shoe in place and its getting about 75% of the dust, but the down draft from my 611 still blows a ton of dust all over.

My picture? No I donā€™t have a diverted on mine.

I think heā€™s talking about the pic on post 83 to this thread

@NathanHorsley @sketch42

I see, yes I had the diverter on at that time, I no longer use it, I am not using that dust attachment either. It worked fine for some pieces, but I find myself using thicker material and that attachment would not work, I did not have enough clearance, and since I have to take off the spindle mount to put it on, I decided it was not worth it.

@sketch42
Thank you for clearing that up.

@ErikJenkins
What are you using now, may I ask? I get too much dust to go without, and was rather disappointed at the loss of depth myself. The dust shoe works really well for what iā€™m cutting now, but I had ideas of larger stock to carve eventually.

1 Like

Right now I am chasing around the spindle with a shopvac, but I will be making the one posted by @AlanDavis this weekend.