Flags Flags Flags

I finished up a few more flags today. I think they turned out pretty darn cool. Let me know what you think.

The last one USMC I made for a marine friend of mine a month or so ago.

24 Likes

i think they look pretty cool. did you paint everything first then make your cuts and burn the wood last.

I milled the lumber to exact dimension. Stained all appropriate parts with a water based stain. Assembled all parts in a simple jig with glue and brads. Once that dried a quick orbital sand with 220 and it was off to the cnc. Propane torch for the rustic look, hand sand, and 3 to 4 coats of spar Urethane with a scotch brite scuff inbetween. Oh and the usmc flag was colored by charing the wood, sanding off the flakey bits, rinse and repeat.

1 Like

Wow, I really like these flags… do you sell them?

I have sold a few but nothing production wise. All just local word of mouth type thing.

Those look great!

I just finished this one and sent it out. Never had any requests for the sports ones but those things look awesome!

3 Likes

These look great!

do you have any more detail shots of the screaming chicken?

1 Like

That thing looks awsome. What was the process you used? Looks like larger boards butted together and each strioe pained. Love the effect around the airborne symbol.

1 Like

I thought I did Bluelocktite but I guess I forgot to take one before it got shipped it out. I’m supposed to have a few more orders for them after the friend that bought it for one of his friends showed a bunch of his buddies. I’ll get some better pictures then.

I just assemble the boards, paint, carve, then torch. I’ve got other flags I use different effects for but it just depends on what the customer wants. That particular flag was a mini. 13.5"x24.5"

1 Like

My “mini” flags are almost the same size 13x24.5. regular sized is 19.5x37. unfortunatly my brush skills are not good enough to paint on the stripes, wich is why I stain each board individually. I would love to see more of your work!

1 Like

I’ll post some pictures tonight when I get in the house. Out in the garage sweating like crazy working on a couple large flags. My large are 32.5"x65"

7 Likes

I’m really lovin’ the style of these flags! Great Job!!!

1 Like

Looks great John. I also do similar flags

4 Likes

Is the red stained and then did you use a torch to burn the wood over the paint

Yes that is how I did mine. I torch all the boards first before putting it together to include the stained boards. I will also do touch up torching afterwards.

4 Likes

Nickbateman…I really like that design, good work! Wouldnt be willing to share that file would ya?

Those sports flags are pretty cool!

another usmc one I did. I have found doing the stars using V carve you must have a very flat and uniform surface. I ruined one large and one medium flag that had slightly bowed before I had a chance to carve it. The one im doing now I used 1/8th to pocket then 1/16 to profile and get a fairly sharp point. Much more forgiving than vcarve but you loose those real crisp sharp corners. Ill try to post a picture when its done.

3 Likes

I do all mine in easel. Using a 1/16" bit. I use shallow passes on one carve in case the boards are even slightly different height. Then another pass a little more aggressive to speed it up.