Forum moderation

I think it is necessary for the forum that users do not have the right to ask that all of their posts be deleted. While I sympathize with a user who feels the host has wronged them and they want to take their marbles and go home, Inventables has to protect itself against the damage that this would cause. Posts and replies are not in a vacuum, so if you pull your posts then you also lose the context of all posts that reference or reply to it. Imagine if certain very high profile posters here deleted everything they’ve posted. Even worse imagine if any of them approached Inventables and said “pay me or I delete my posts”?

The terms of service must include a nonexclusive license to keep the content posted here, but do so in a way that avoids the mistakes if companies like Makerbot/Thingiverse which were perceived as taking ownership of others intellectual property.

3 Likes

I feel that an important issue that has been raised here, and by recent events, is what it means to make a contribution to the Inventables community. The context for my comments hereafter are that Robert Canning is angry because he felt some in the forums were abusing him and now he has left and wants to take every contribution he ever made with him. How Inventables decides to address Robert’s particular case is their call because the forums belong to Inventables and because Robert posted freely and of his own will to the forums with no claim of copyright or any expectation of return for his contributions. But Robert’s case raises a general concern that really ought to be addressed in whatever plan is developed to revitalize the forums for future use by the community. That concern is, of course, how, in the future, to prevent forum users from walking away and taking all their contributions with them.

To the best of my knowledge, NO forum or discussion group anywhere has ever allowed users/members to take all their “cookies”; all of their posts or whatever; with them when they leave. The reason for that, given the volatility of most online forums, is precisely because of the damage and loss to their communities that would occur regularly if they allowed it. If information of value to a community is continually allowed to be drained away as members come and go, then how can that community ever come to be considered as a reliable source of information?

If users don’t have confidence that information which was available to them yesterday will be available to them tomorrow, then they are simply going to look elsewhere for more consistently reliable sources of information. And as more and more of them do that, the community dies.

All of that said, what I think Inventables needs to do is establish a policy - based on the “Creative Commons” model - that makes it clear to forum users, up-front, that they are granting a perpetual, non-exclusive copyright license to Inventables for any information they share in the forums.

This is precisely how things work when I write an article for a newspaper, magazine, etc. As the creator of the article, I still own it and the copyright to it. But for publishing my work (usually, but not always, in exchange for payment) the newspaper gets a nonexclusive right to use it and reproduce it in the future.

That would work for Inventables I think.

3 Likes

Just my .02 on who my votes would be for to make good moderators - just off the top of my head based on many posts/replies I have seen, and how they always seem to be pretty even keeled and helpful, from the following:
@PhilJohnson
@JustinBusby
@LarryM
@AngusMcleod
@RobertCanning (sadly leaving us)

2 Likes

I didn’t mean to say that the terms currently include this, but they must be changed to do so - a business cannot be expected to take the kind of hit that not having this could cause.

1 Like

I’m no lawyer too but I don’t think I ever heard of a forum deleting all content from a certain user when he/she decides to leave. And it would surprise me if he could legally enforce it. Idk I’ve not seen this situation before… Anyhow, I think it’s kind of petty to have all your stuff deleted. The internet sticks. We all know that. Just move on if that’s what you want to do. IRL you can’t take back lost time and effort either.
No disrespect intended to anyone who wants to leave. To each his/her own I guess.

2 Likes

@StevePrior: I agree wholeheartedly about the TOS. And beyond the hit that Inventables might take, there’s also the simple matter of community that, “the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one”.

As have a couple of mine. I wondered what was happening…

Better than the alternative I suppose. I would however have suggested keeping the userid unique “Anonymous1234” so that at least the posts by that individual be distinct from others. Or else Anonymous could be perceived as having wildly different levels of quality.

I’m going to add my small 2 cents, this probably isn’t the correct thread for it but from what I mainly see on the forum, when a new user asks a question most of the time they get sarcasm, before some one directs them to the search function. when I was a new X-carve user that happened to me a few times , what some people don’t realize is even in 2018 not everyone is familiar with forums and how they work, I had never been a member of, or used a forum until I purchased my X-carve, even though I have been in the I.T. field for 20plus years. new users don’t always understand or appreciate the harsh sarcasm that most of the seasoned users have grown used too. I find that if folks don’t agree with or like a post they comment negatively or act rude. My mother taught me a long time ago if you don’t have anything nice to say then don’t say anything at all. There is users on the forum that don’t mind “politely” directing people to the answers they seek.

2 Likes

I’m a newbie.
I’d like to see a glossary. I try to search, but don’t always know the correct terms to use.
Also, a quick guide to any available shortcut keys. I found “shift+control+d” by accident while searching for something else.

4 Likes

Stack exchange is pretty fantastic about moderating their stuff. My wife is a moderator on one of their sites. They don’t screw around over there.

Sometimes I think they get a bit too heavy handed with the ban-hammer, but If you want to see a well moderated (and behaved) community, stack exchange is a great example.

regards,
Ken

I disagree. He gives rights to his post as soon as he posts it. He doesn’t own the site.

Also, if people’s posts just get deleted there’s a lot of threads and conversations that will make zero sense. disassociation is better than deletion. Just make them “anonymous”, or “deleteduser349857394”

3 Likes

You could be right. Looked for some legal-ese here on inventables’ site that I assumed was there when creating an account almost everywhere. You don’t explicitly agree to anything either way when creating an account here.

I figured they’d want to protect valuable content in the forums from people saying: “Nah. I want my stuff gone.”

-Ken

Projects: Shapeoko CNC Router, Rigid, Accurate, Reliable, and Affordable

coaster

http://shapeoko.github.io/Docs/firstjob.html

box

1 Like

First I want to thank @RonSabourin and @JeremySimmons for advocating for this discussion. I really appreciate the way you two brought this to the group.

I am really impressed by all the different ideas and suggestions. I will admit that I was a bit surprised by the diversity of the ideas and opinions expressed are here.

I don’t want to make a snap decision. There is a lot here to take in and process. Also if we do switch the software, build a wiki, or enlist community moderators that isn’t going to happen overnight.

What I can say for sure is there are going to be short term and long term changes coming.

9 Likes

That’s why I stay in trouble with my wife all the time!!:grin:

Sorry, really some good stuff going on here.

2 Likes

I wrote about the trouble of email comms about a decade ago that used about the same percentages as in Phil’s post. Forums are in the same boat. In the days of Compuserve forums, we used emotioncons as one of the ways to put tone into the message. We put the effort into communicating in the writing some of the tone and body language to let people know we were joking, or not. The community was good at keeping people civil, and we did not have to have many moderators.

Phil’s last line was the key to the success of those programming forums I participated in - giving the other the benefit of doubt that the intention was good. It worked then. It can work now.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s surprising to me that there isn’t more work being done on software which can store, organize, and make accessible the knowledge created by such discussion forums, or by an institution.

The most interesting development seems to be Jupyter Notebook, but it’s got an absolutely bizarre (to me at least) architecture, and I’ve not had any luck getting it running / set up, and it doesn’t seem that amenable to collaboration.

It’s a shame there isn’t a suitable AI program for this sort of thing, say something which would work as well as sBook does for addresses.

1 Like

I think the issue is what people’s idea of moderators job is. It’s not just about policing the members, that’s actually the least part of it. If you take a forum like Adafruit’s for example, they have moderators on at all times and they steer most posts to the information the person is looking for in older posts and marking posts that’s information is no longer relevant. The job is mostly about keeping the forum in order and being able to answer or show where the answer is located on the forum. There will always be disagreements and people taking things the wrong way, just the nature of the beast. This really hasn’t been too much of a problem here, the biggest problem seems to be organization and keeping veterans and newbies interested and involved. Just my opinion, but every time moderation comes up it seems everybody focuses on policing. Just figured we needed a different direction of thoughts on the direction.

Brian

5 Likes

In my experience a moderator needs the following attributes:

• Time to dedicate to the moderation job

• The ability to connect and communicate effectively with the community

• Leadership and teamwork qualities that aren’t inhibited by personal aspirations.

• The ability to execute moderation actions quickly and consistently tuning practice to team discussions.

• A vision for where they want to take the forum that matches the rest of the moderation team.

• (Moderation) experience that translates to new points of view to complement the existing mod team.

• Trustworthiness, humility, honesty.

• Being reachable and participatory in internal discussions and communication in a timely manner.

• A genuine interest in moderation so they don’t burn out and want to moderate for the sake of moderating.

• A liking for performing mundane, repetitive tasks and answering the same questions over and over again.

• A willingness to take and ignore taking abuse while remaining professional.

• Someone who takes pride in their work.

5 Likes