Freezing while simulating toolpaths in Easel

I am having a problem carving a file I’ve carved many times before. Easel freezes up while creating the toolpaths right before carving. I tried using easel threw chrome and foxfire on a windows 10 computer. Easels firmware hasn’t changed since the last time I carved this file. Nothing worked, I’ve wasted an hour on this and I am looking for suggestions. I don’t know if this issue is a result of the easel event they are having tomorrow Oct 10th?

I’ve had ‘projects’ get corrupted…don’t know why. If you copy the entire project, close the old one, close your browser, start over and then open the copied project, it might be ok. I’ve done this exact scenario to fix a project that went belly-up.

1 Like

Hi Nick,

Can you share the URL to your Easel project that is having problems with me? You can PM me if you want.

Hi @NickHomrich,

I’m sorry about the trouble. @plomac passed along the error report with your project. I tried & was able to generate toolpaths for the project—it took about a minute on my 2012 Mac.

If the browser pops up an alert saying the page is unresponsive, you can click “Wait” to let it keep working. Out of the 5 or 6 times I regenerated the toolpaths, this happened a total of two times for me, but it could happen more if your computer is slower. Also, good news on this front: we just made a change to help prevent these alerts from popping up when calculating toolpaths is taking a long time. This also should prevent issues where the machine disconnects while calculating toolpaths.

If you’re encountering a different problem, could you provide a more detailed explanation of exactly what’s happening, including any error messages you see?

Thanks!
Jim

I’m having same problem. Progress bar still stuck i same spot after trying your sugestions.

Welcome to the forum Steve.

What kind of design are you simulation? Large/intricate designs may actually take a good while and/or freeze. Share a screenshot of your project?

I’m having the SAME PROBLEM! I’m using Easel Pro and although the carving I’m doing is very complicated, it freezes up on the tool path.

I cannot “Combine” the the SVG because when I attempt to, the program collapses the entire image into an outline of the entire image. (It’s an SVG of the Millenium Falcon). I have no idea what else to do get the program to work. I have a windows 10 laptop (less than a year old). Plenty of processing speed.

Other than that, the estimates of time to cut are WAYYYYY off as well.

I think it might have something to do with the auto save and the amount of redos you can do… Clogging up the system. Just a thought.

Hey Gang
Been using x carve for 4 years and have never had any issues until now. Have done many carves over with no issues. Recently generating tool path just keeps running and running. If i click into another project and return to the project i’m doing, the tool path will start some times. Also the same with detailed view.
I’m also having issue with z probe not responding when contact is made to bit???
Any ideas what’s going on?? Any help would be appreciated.

I have issues with Easel taking a long time to do a Detailed Preview fairly often on one of my laptops. It is a 2.4GHz single-core machine, so it is not exactly slow, but it isn’t a big powerhouse either. I run a lot of stuff on that machine, and I think that it just gets overloaded with memory and swap, and can take an hour and a half or more to do a preview on a really detailed carve sometimes. I have found a couple of ways to deal with it.

Sometimes I can get away with just shutting down all instances of FireFox to free up the memory and processes that my browser is using on multiple windows and multiple tabs. It is a pain to get all of my stuff back again, and I hate having to do it, but it can be necessary. Sometimes it is just a Winblows (not a typo) thing, and a reboot (or a cold boot - actually turn the computer right off for five minutes) will resolve the problem.

As for the z-probe problem, I can’t really address that for you as I don’t use it. I never found it to be reliable at all, but it may come back after a restart. I don’t know if it is static electricity from the drier winter air or what exactly it is, but I find that I need to do this more often this time of year.