From Aspire to Carvey

I’m curious if anyone here is using any of the Vectric applications like VCarve or Aspire, if you could answer a simple question for me. Say I create a new project in Aspire, do I have to export each tool path individually (using the Easel post processor) and then load them one by one into Easel in order to carve my project? If I have 5 tool paths in my Aspire project, I save 5 files. Import the first file, cut, import the second file then cut, etc…? Or do I save them all in one file, and Easel knows how to separate each tool paths into an appropriate job? Sorry for my ignorance, but I’m brand spanking new to all of this…

I’ve been using VCarve with the Carvey for a while. If I understand your question, yes, each toolpath is a separate job. For example, if you create a new project and import a g-code roughing toolpath and then import a finishing toolpath into the same screen, the second one replaces the first. You can however group several jobs into a project by using the “+” at the bottom. This creates a new job (or I think it’s called a “workpiece”) that is kept in a project folder.

This is how I understand and use the VCarve/Carvey combination, but if anyone has better info, I look forward to learning more.

1 Like

You can load multiple toool paths if they use the same tool. Make sure you have them in the order you want before saving.

1 Like

Thanks everyone… I’m curious about some settings in Aspire, and using Easel to cut on the Carvey. I’ve successfully used Easel to make a few things, but since I also purchased Aspire, I want to start using it a bit more. When selecting a bit from the tools database, am I safe with just leaving all the settings such as spindle speed, feed rate, plunge rate, pass depth, etc at their defaults? I imagine as I learn and do more, I’ll probably end up tweaking them a bit for each material, or actual job itself. But seeing as I’m brand new to all of this, and know practically nothing more than which type of bit to use, I don’t want to change them unless there’s a reason to change them. For now.

that depend on what kind of information the tool database contain. I dont use Aspire so cant comment specificly. I am using Fusion360 where I in that tool database can specify target parameters and “all I need to do is use the correct RPM”.

But - all tool parameters are to be considered as a starting value, no machine is identical and minute differences can cause great variations.

I would suggest you provide a carve, and provide the feeds&speeds suggested and others with experience may comment on those specificly.