Fusion 360 > Xcarve Zero/Retract issue - Help! :)

Thanks now I am going to try this with imported g-code. I have never noticed that it is sent in reverse order but it is good to know.

Sorry, I was unclear. Easel sends your imported code in order. I just copied and pasted, so the first line sent was at the bottom of the stream.

I got CNCjs set up last night, and imported my G-Code. Despite having my model setup correctly CNCjs still showed my bit passing through the material before starting.

But I was able to simply adjust the g-code slightly by moving the Z1.25 from the first line to a new separate line before it, that way it retracts prior to moving to the ramp in location. I also added G0X0Y0 at the very end once the bit has retracted from the workpiece. This worked and my simulation went correctly.

Since you said that CNCjs does not add any additional code like Easel does, I’m assuming this should work well?

If your first move is an xy move, you just need to make sure you start with the end mill above your stock. That’s good practice anyway. It can be automated with a post processor.
Can you share your gcode or fusion file?
I will look at it later this evening.

Here is the link to my F360 file. Note, For machining the top I use the jig + case 4. For the back I use the jig + case 5.

First few gcode lines

Before:
G0X1.3743Y1.6076Z1.25
Z0.724
G1Z0.5624F45
X1.3744Y1.6071Z0.5575

After:
G0Z1.25
G0X1.3743Y1.6076
Z0.724
G1Z0.5624F45
X1.3744Y1.6071Z0.5575
X1.3746Y1.6057Z0.5528
X1.375Y1.6034Z0.5485
X1.3756Y1.6004Z0.5447

@NeilFerreri1 - when you have time, I’d like to understand this better. I have no idea what you mean by “motion” at the beginning.

-tom

@TheGuru No problem…What exactly don’t you understand?

@AustinShaner I just realized that I never looked at your file. Sorry. Are you all set now?

Hi @NeilFerreri1- I think I figured it out. It seems easel is adding some gcode at the beginning and end, regardless of the source of the gcode. If true, that’s really not cool. Especially if the imported gcode is already homing or whatever you need.

-Tom

It’s true.
I think a lot of Easel users just get used it or never notice and assume that’s how it’s supposed to be.

Not an issue if you use all Easel.

No worries Neil.

I spent a good chunk of the weekend working on this project, and learned a lot about gcode in the process. I used CNCjs - and I must say it’s fantastic. I particularly enjoyed being able to manually enter gcode through the console. It made re-calibrating my steppers much easier as well.

Rather than setting up any offsets in CNCjs, I simply opted to move the first Z command (nested in an XYZ combo) in my file to a G1Z command one line above it. This made it so the spindle retracted prior to moving to the XY starting location.

My Fusion 360 files were setup properly, so CNCjs properly recognized my XYZ zero and where the stock was located - it just still tried to do the first XYZ move in one go (causing a crash), rather than Z first - then XY. Was a pretty easy fix overall.

This was my first time doing 2 sided machining and it didn’t go so well at first. Somehow each side was a 1/16 or so off despite using dowel pins and my jig. In the end I set my zero to the center of the pockets I machined (so I could reference that geometry instead of my jig). That seemed to work much better.I fixed the 1/16 offset afterward by machining a simple contour and using it as a jig on my table router with a flushing bit.

If I end up making another I’ll know how to make it work better in the future.

I really appreciate your help!

1 Like

Heres a picture of my test cut that crashed because I forgot to change the gcode prior to starting. I’ll post a photo of the finished project and a short clip of the setup once it’s done.

Here is a short clip I took sunday night of the back side (3D scallop, 1/4 roundover bit, 1/32 stepover)

I normally don’t have dust everywhere but My suckit dust boot broke during the crash on my test cut in MDF. Ordered a new one yesterday.

1 Like