Gantry lift plates

Awesome job…so when will you be selling these :ok_hand:

1 Like

Good job as usual Phil. Stupid question. Couldn’t you have just made taller Y end plates and raised the whole machine higher. That’s what I did and made Z taller.

1 Like

BTW Hot glue is much better and it is easily removed!

So long as there is no oil or such it works like magic!

Awesome work !!

1 Like

Nice job Phil. These are next on my list.

Jer

1 Like

My worry is screw length but only when upgrading gantry not the lift plates. BTW the design astounds me! Mucho impresso!

5 Likes

Its all thanks to u @PhilJohnson and u know it! :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

I took it from their new x carve model.
When i got the 2 plastic support pieces i decided to import them into my design for extra strength. Phil and i have been collaborating on a new design for the gantry plates to help eliminate flex from side to side as well as torsional flex in the horizontal plane, before they released the new x carve even. However the rear support was a last minute add on. Literally added the day before my first carve! Following phil’s advice i test carved and fitted before i did the aluminum. Good thing i did too. I made a calculation error.

V2

V4

Upgrades Include:
Better belt engagement due to closer Smooth Idles.
Extra v-wheel attachment points.
interference fit eccentric spacers. Really friggin tight so no more lefty loosy!
Rear support using 20x20 for drag chain. (new x carves come with injection molded plastic supports which would be fine except for 2 things one they are flexible and dont help with rigidity when they really can as they are there anyway. Two they are plastic and get mounted via the bottom 2 screws holding the x rail and when tightening the screws they crush the plastic and never really get tight enough to help stop the x from “flexing” which is the whole point of the new x carve!)

3 Likes

How can it walk when its tied town to the y rail with a preassembly nut?
its a slot so when i need to do service it quicker to pop off the rear adj screw

1 Like

Do the glue up with very dry wood.

1 Like

Thanks man. i had considered that and i never completely remove the bottom screw.
however ur saying better a hole than a slot. hmmm where have i heard that before?:innocent:

1 Like

:scream: Sir, how could u? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: JK. U doin better?

1 Like

6 Likes

Phil - Thanks for the plate designs, I cut them yesterday form a 3" x .375 bar and installed them last night. Just need to cut a new wire and hook up electronics and I’ll be back to cutting. Swapped in the new 1 piece gantry rail as well. I need to tram the again as I was actually able to square the new makerslide to the waste board this time.

Thanks for the time and effort you put into the designs and sharing them!!

Now to cut a mounting plate and put the new linear Z-axis in place :slight_smile:

Jer

1 Like

Phantomm, would you be willing to share the files for the complete end plate? in SVG perhaps? I use Vcarve Pro and Mach 3. Thanks in advance

1 Like

I would like to do further tests b4 i do. im not sure if its as epic as i hoped. I will Post a list of pros and cons Soon so u can decide.

1 Like

Cool, thank you sir.

Pros:
Stiffness is greatly improved. Can cut aluminum at 140 ipm Possibly more.

Cons:
Loss of travel
Requires extra v wheels and hardware to achieve full potential. SO additional cost.
If back is too close to a wall it will crash cuz of the extra rear bar.

1 Like

I did 6 initially.
With 8 i got a much better finish… and much tighter control around the corners at high speed.