Got it assembled just in time for Christmas

I took almost 2 weeks to assemble my X-Carve - I didn’t rush and had a couple of glitches along the way (like dropping a piece of Makerslide and breaking off the tap in the hole). I also made 2 blank waste boards (holes to be determined later, using double sided tape for now). This is the main part of my workshop, I cut those 3 tool holder panels by hand with a jigsaw, imagine how impossible I’ll be with a CNC.

3 Likes

Inspired by others here I used crimp on connectors instead of the bare wire for the terminal blocks. I also used crimp on connectors for the limit switches though I had to bend them to fit - seemed much better to have the removable than soldered.

I also used cable ties to neaten the wiring and keep them from rubbing.

2 Likes

I slapped myself when I noticed on the main page for xc. You can see zip ties around the power cord and the drag chain. Just did it to mine. Works really well to keep it tidy

Very clean job and shop Steve. Looking good and now it’s time for some fine tuning and having fun.

Thanks. What are the logical next steps in terms of fine tuning and calibration? I want to make sure that stuff is right before I use it to cut waste board holes and some kind of dust boot.so I can hook up the Festool vac. I also bought the relay to switch the power to the Dewalt and need to figure out how to wire that, currently I’m just using manual spindle control.

Thanks, hadn’t noticed that before, but will do it now.

This is a compilation of some great resources.

Read down the thread and I list the main things I did to be operational.

1 Like

Take a look at @RobertA_Rieke posts on X-Carve Maintenance/Troubleshooting Videos - Add Your Own!

I just added this to the Maintenance video thread (even though there’s no video):

I would suggest running the calibration test after you think you have your belts tensioned, pots adjusted, and V-wheels set correctly. To do it before would probably be a waste of time and material.

1 Like