Got my homing up and going on my system

Finally, after a year of goofing around without it, I got my limit switches going. The t-nuts arrived in the mail and I got the Y axis peg hooked in there, but I had put the X gantry on wrong so the track slot didn’t line up with the switch, so I cut a piece of wood and got it screwed into the t-nut where the track was so now that piece of wood acts as the peg. lol

Went thru Easel to config it … no probs. worked like a charm. Got into UGS and got G28 all set up… turned off the gshield and moved it around just a bit… turned it back on and re-homed it. G28 worked like a charm… went right back to where I set G28.1. Now I’ll have to fine tune where I want G28.1 to actually be. I’m stoked. Got my Linear Z axis under the tree… I’ll be an carving fool here in a few weeks. Got the fool part down pat, tho. :wink:

3 Likes

You can also use G30 to have a second pre-defined location. Works just like G28/G28.1 (G30,G30.1).

2 Likes

Add a bump stop and set the corner to G28 and carve. Use G30 to move the spindle out of the way for clamping or set other repeatable locations.

3 Likes

I got my G30 setup, too! Thanks.

1 Like

Do y’all set these settings in easel or with a different program directly to the x-controller? The x-con uses grbl right? So anything that can set that should be able to set this?

For experienced users this is old hat but for newer carvers this is the procedure (at least what I do!) -

Press the Carve button and use the Jog Controls to move the spindle to the location you would like to set as G28 or G30. Be sure to raise the Z axis high enough to produce ample clearance for the bit over the work material. Close the carve window and press Ctrl Shift D . This will open Machine Inspector.

In the Console box type G28.1 and hit enter. It should reply OK. That’s it. G28 is set to that spindle location and will stay there until you change it again (yes, it is saved at power off). Whenever you want to move to the G28 location just open Machine Inspector and type in G28 and hit enter. It will cruise right over to the location. Anytime you want to change the G28 location just move the spindle to the new location and repeat the process typing in G28.1. G30 works the same and is set with a G30.1 command.

I use a L shaped Bump Stop and have G28 set right on the inside corner. My G30 is set out in center/right field. After Homing I do a G30 to move the spindle out of the way. I securing the work piece and then send the G28 command and the bit is automatically moved to the work piece’s lower left corner which is against the bump stop. All you have to do then is set the Z axis (probe, paper, whatever) and you are good to go.

But remember you need to Home before you move to G28 or G30.

3 Likes

Do you mean home the machine before you " set " your g28 ,g30? Or do you have to home machine every time you want to move to g28,g30 positions?
Also , does it move the z axis up before moving to x,y positions so it doesn’t crash into clamps or the like

Both. You have to home to set the location (it’s set to relative to Machine zero/home position) and then to reach the same spot, you’ve got to home.

1 Like

Thanks @JustinBusby

When given the command to go to G28 or G30 the spindle moves immediately on ALL three axis. It may be raising the bit to reach the G28/G30 set height but it is still moving in X/Y towards that point. SO if there is a clamp or other obstruction in the way it may hit it.

If there is a question, jog closer first then hit G28/G30 to zero in.

1 Like

Thanks @RayMacke you may have saved me a few bits lol

Thanks @PhilJohnson will look into that tonight.

1 Like

I’ve only had my X-carve a couple of weeks and have setup G28 and G30. I too use an L shape bump stop and my G28 is the inside corner so makes setting up a job so easy. God, I love the forum !!

2 Likes

Phil is correct - I should have made that more clear!

1 Like