Got V-Carve Pro, what do I need to have to send it to my x-carve?

Arent you lucky you know what you are doing then, i dont and trying to figure it out and yes, its complex for me when i have never done anything relating to this sort of software

@vanessa, how can I help?

1 Like

I should be fine thanks Zach, i have the g-code addition to easel which sounds a lot simpler and get to test on the weekend.
I was referring to not knowing bcnc and ugs :slight_smile:

Here is a link to one of my videos that will help with the VCarve Pro and X-Carve setup:

I saw a post about sharing gcode files - please take great care sharing toolpath files as you are relying on the creator to set all the tool parameters for you - this can go horribly wrong. It is always better to create your own toolpaths as you then have total control of what is happening to YOUR CNC.

Peter

1 Like

Some small inaccuracies, but over all a very good overview of the workflow.

Great job.

Hi Larry,

I am always trying to improve things so please point out where I went wrong - this will help other people too.

Peter

@New_Brit_Workshop

Doesn’t really take away from the video, but here are some points for clarification.

At about 1:10 you are describing the power supply and what it powers. The Arduino and the gShield logic are powered by the USB port of the computer and the 24 volt power supply provides power for the blue LED on the gShield, the electronics fan, and the stepper motors. If you have the original 24 volt spindle the power supply also provides power for the spindle (which you have installed on your machine in the video).

At about 6:55 you start talking about V-carve Pro and you say that you need the post processor files to tell V-carve how to understand G-code.

The way that it really works is that V-carve Pro produces the G-code as an output file and it uses the post processor files to tailor the G-code for a specific machine. In this case the X-carve.

Not an error, but at about 8:20 you talk about the location of the post processor files. You can place these files in the directory C:\ProgramData\Vectric\VCarve Pro\V8.0\My_PostP and then that set of files will be the only selections available in the drop down box in VCarve Pro. Just a convenience so that you don’t have to see a big selection of Post Processors that you will never use.

At about 12:00 you start describing how to move your machine to where you want to start carving on the work piece and you use the terminology “homing position”. Homing position refers to the location where the machine is located after the completion of the homing cycle ($H).

The location where you would like to start carving or more accurately the place on your work piece that corresponds to the origin in your design is normally referred to as Work Zero. Work Zero is rarely the same location as the Homing position. In your video the Work Zero location would be at the crosshair on your work piece.

Hi Larry

That is very helpful and I am really grateful that you took the time to help.

I will do my best to get these bits right in future but I can’t promise that I will be able to remember it all - remembering the birthdays of all the grandchildren is quite tricky !

Many thanks.

Peter

Mr. Massey I have to tell you I have been looking threw the forums gathering information and knowledge about different aspects of using my x carve before I run into issues. So far you have been replied on most of them with very understandable instructions and have been a huge asset to me learning how to use my x carve!!! I just wanted you to know how thankful I am for you taking time out to respond and helping out us beginners!!! @AllenMassey

Hello Scott,

I really appreciate that. When I got my kit I had nothing but trouble and was about to just write the machine off as a bad investment, then I found this forum and was able to get really good help from a lot of very smart people. It amazed me that so many people were spending so much of their time answering questions and helping solve problems. So it makes me happy that I can pay some of that back now answering questions when I can.