Grasshopper/silkworm with X-carve

Hey everyone! Sorry this is going to be really 3D modeling and coding heavy)

So this is a work in progress but I am too excited about it so I need to share!

I’ve been tinkering with grasshopper (plug-in for rhino that allows for graphical coding interface) to get shapes out to mill. I’ve been really into trying to get a plugin called silkworm to work with my X-carve. Silkworm lets you create G-code freely (via curve/lines).

ANYWAYS! I have a video of a dry run I just did uploading right now on youtube. It’s unedited so bare with it or scrub it. I will do a nice carving video of it in the next few days.

Video will be finished loading in an hour :frowning:

grasshopper:

silkworm:
http://projectsilkworm.com/

1 Like

Hi,
Nice work.
Any chance you would share the definition?
What are you using to send the g-code to the machine?
Thanks.

Hey Marcel,

Sorry it’s been a while since I’ve gotten back on the forums. I haven’t touched that file for a while but I remember the last time i did i tried to load a different image sample in and it totally wrecked the code. I can still upload it for you, better yet I might just make a github on it. I definitely would welcome a collaboration on it as I have other projects taking up my time right now. PM me if your interested.

hulktest_1.nc (1.2 MB)

if you want it here it is. its in shambles but if you know what you are doing it’s a good starting point. Sorry I just dont have the time to work on it anymore. I would love to see what I’ve started be something useful. Here’s a big FU to the huge companies charging outlandish prices for gcode software.

actually i think these are the lastest files I worked on.

this one is to make varied depth lines in the z axis.
image_sampler_horizontal_lines.gh (3.6 MB)

and this one is to make dots in the same fasion:

image sampler_point grid.gh (3.6 MB)

Please if you make additions to my files please share it with everyone. That’s all I ask. The knowledge is power and the more we share the better this community is.