GrblGru: Free CAM program with 3D simulation for mills and lathes

I sent you an email.

Dear author! Is it possible to make it so that when cutting a thread, when the cutter comes to the leftmost position, the y axis turns another 360 degrees? In this way, the cutter will make a small groove, which will prevent damage to the cutter itself. Thanks!

I’m not sure I understand you correctly. Assuming you’re talking about threading on a lathe.
Before threading, there is a need to machine the correct outside diameter. This is usually done by adding a chamfer and undercut at the beginning and end. This should protect the threading tool.

I just want to inform you that an english manual for GrblGru is now available on my website.
Since I developed my program at the same time as I wrote the documentation, it is unfortunately already not 100% up to date. :frowning:
Creating documentation is unfortunately not one of my strengths. Nevertheless, I hope that it can clarify one or the other open question. :frowning:

Have fun with GrblGru

3 Likes

That is fantastic, thank you very much!

Thanks for the English manual . Just what I need .

Hi GrblGru
Thanks for the English manual . Just what I need .

One thing that was need to be able to run the communication with the arduino Mega 2560 board to avoid “Alarm2” and error 15 that disable the communication was to set
the $20=0 (soft limit enable flag) instead of 1 that was the default value when GRBL-Mega-5x was loaded into the 2560 board

I have great fun to crate the simulation and also get the grbl-Mega-5x to work with the Ramps 1.4 card (so far without the 5 stepmotors but the codes runs)

When I try to save a project (Your Elch example project ) I get an error so it was not possible to save (see my two files), what is wrong .

One thing I wonder if it is hidden somewhere in the GUI the possibilities to control the on/off off the spindle and speed as well as the amount of steps (0.01,0.1, 1,10 mm ) or is the measing that this should be handled with Macros ?

Thanks for your feedback. Sorry, at the moment I have changed a lot of internal things in the program. Therefore the last beta versions are not very stable yet. :frowning:
I just uploaded a new beta. Hope this is a bit better. Maybe you’d like to try it again.
You can program the spindle speed on the job. In the settings you can also choose if you want to switch the spindle on / off automatically (M3 / M4 / M5)
In the job you can also set ‘Depth Increment’ and ‘Sum of increments’.

Started to follow the Elch.dxf example. The 2D Scale button seems to be missing in GG 3.44.8

1 Like

Thanks for giving GrblGru a try.
But please download the release version 3.44
In the new beta version I’m currently working on a new functionality that will replace the old 2D dialog.

1 Like

Hello ,

good Day.
Is that possible to import a robot CAD file to simulate the load/unload material to cnc also ?
Thx,
CLeung

Thank you for the manual! There are so many useful functions in GrblGru, I’m always forgetting which YouTube video explained something–this manual will be very helpful!

-GrblGru

I would like to set the XY Origin to the lower left corner of my stock/workpiece instead of the lower left corner of the imported DXF file. Is that possible?

XY_Origin

@Cleung1
I’m not sure I understand you. If you want to visualize the movements of a robot during loading, it should be possible in principle. But for this you need a model of the robot and the GCode. The syntax of the GCode should consist of standard commands.

@PopsShebang
Unfortunately there is no possibility to set the reference point to the stock dimensions.
A possible ‘work arround’ would be to draw an additional rectangle in your DXF drawing with your exact stock dimensions. You can also set the reference point of your drawing to any point and then select ‘From Drawing’ from the context menu. (see pic)

Maybe it would be better to provide inputs for the stock dimensions in the future. Then it would make sense to refer to the reference point.

Yes, GrblGru do very well in GCODE simulation in CNC.
But I wonder is that possible to simulate the GCODE of CNC but also mix with a ROBOT movement for load & unload the material like attached.
PS: we can provide the GCODE for the movement of the ROBOT.

Thanks.cnc_w_Robot_load

1 Like

Ok, thank you. I thought the “Bounding” setting was somewhat of representation of the stock.
Also thought that if Bounding had a Bx, By setting it would work for a simple stock representation.

So, in the case of the Elk cutout, what does changing the Bounding setting actually do for the machining process?

Also, after running the simulation of the cutout, the “Stock” settings are greyed out.
ie. Bounding, V-offset, Thickness

@Cleung1

Ah, now I get it. Of course you could do that. Sorry, but I thing the effort would go beyond the scope of my little programs. If you only need a simulation for demonstration purposes for a certain procedure and therefore don’t need CAM functionality you can use one of the CAD programs that provide this functionality. Search for “cad animation software” on www

@PopsShebang

The Bounding Box is actually only intended to give a rough idea of the stock and its position.
It is also used for the preview. It has no meaning for the actual machining process.
The stockbox is not activated if the Z-position is not 0. This causes the graphic to match the real position of the cutter.

you are Correct. I would like to do it together with CAM simulation, is that possible to do this inside GrblGru ?
ie: create the 3D of the Robot by other CAD and import to the GrblGru project ?

No, sorry, that’s not possible.

Hi GrblGru

Version 3.44.13 does not show gcode when clicking on the green “Start” button.