Growth Chart

Maybe this will help. I did this in easel

6 Likes

Thanks robert for the template. Quick simple. Perfect.

1 Like

hey devin
Love the chart is that lasered or cnc’ed?

Cut with 1/4" EM 55 IPM .100" DOC .200" TOTAL depth. On 5 1/2" wide 3/4" THK pine.
Cut in three 24" sections. About 15mins total machine time.
Brushed flat black paint then sanded off excess

2 Likes

Hey guys,

Thanks for the easel file.
How do you line it up as you move the board?

When I made one of these, I mounted a straight edge to my waste board to keep the board parallel on the Y axis while moving it.

1 Like

So you just slid
The board down to zero had the Y against the work and went for it? My guess is there is a bit of margin there. I’ll quit being a wuss and just try it.

Yep just slid it down, I actually didn’t use tiling, I did the first 2 feet, slid it down and adjusted the file in vcarve so the last inch mark was on the x,y zero and lined up the last inch mark with my bit for the new x axis zero, repeated this for the whole thing and actually went fairly smooth.

I did mine based on Robert Cannings plan - Thanks!. Did it in 2 foot increments, re-positioning the board for every section. I would have like to put the saying in the middle, but I had to make it fit within one of the 2 foot sections.

2 Likes

It looks like you have tall expectations.
Looks Good

I ended up taking your file and making a 4 foot board version. Thank you very much for sharing. It sped things up a bunch for me.

I did make some slight changes:

• I flipped one of the files so I didn’t have to pull my 1000mm X-Carve away from the wall.
  • Adjusted the numbers to be even to themselves and the same distance away from the next tick mark.
    (I think 3 is pushed left by 1/3" or something minimal on yours)
    *Shifted everything over about .3" so I could use the edge of the board to set my zero.

Steps:

*First, I painted the board in a semi-gloss Primer + Paint (2 coats rolled on with a foam roller)
*I ended up doing the bottom of the board first (which annoyingly is the second canvas of the file). All I did was use a tape measure 24" down and set the zero there.
*I then spun the board to get the rest of the ticks, but notice my file says 24.5", (that’s a lie). To set my next zero, I just used the top tick mark that I had already carved out, and just went to the left, on the edge of the board. This should put it perfectly in place and calculate the proper 1" distance.
*I painted the tick marks and the name that I carved with Semi-Gloss Paint + Primer. What was nice was that if you overshot the paint onto the top surface, the previously applied semigloss paint made it easy for me to quickly wipe it away with my finger before it smudged. (Disclaimer: it still took about 5 hours to paint)

37027369_970030943199786_5644851757373718528_n36910884_10101155295111972_1359399965712973824_n

3 Likes

Awesome!! I am very happy that you did this project. It’s great to see people doing amazing thing and I’m glad my file helped you. :+1:

Awesome!! I am very happy that you did this project. It’s great to see people doing amazing thing and I’m glad my file helped you. :+1: