Today I cut out a new shape body I’m working on. I decided to use a 1/4" dia bit for the whole thing instead of changing to a larger bit for the perimeter cut. I allowed 1.5"+ of bit under the collet. My deepest pass was set to 1.5" too. I thought I had the wood clamps out of the way, but they got hit a few times and got shaved shorter in the process. The collet also bumped them on the deeper perimeter cuts.
I was expecting to lose some steps during these unfortunate incidents, but to the X carve’s credit, the belt upgrade held its own with the 50 IPM feed. This is some poplar I glued up. I found at the curb with a " free" sign this summer. It had some cracks and checks, so I only used the good part of it. The color is pretty nice for poplar.
My machine’s upgrades include the Y stiffeners and risers, aftermarket Z axis, and 9mm belts and pulleys. I believe they all were worth the price of admission as the results are really pretty nice compared to the Shapeoko2 that it once was.