Halftone G-Code to Easel

I cannot seem to get a handle on how to convert G-Code through a post-processor into easel. I am not even sure what a post-processor is. I have created the halftone file using Halftoner 1.5 but now what? I cannot import it as Easel says it must be sent through an official post-processor. Any help?

Well I will not be much help but here is what i know.

Easel can import a SVG file or G-code. Also Easel has a App called “Image Trace” (the 2nd toolbar at the top of Easel, click on the Apps icon, it’s the 3rd to last in the Apps menu).

A post-processor, mainly is use in CAM programs think of a post-processor like a language translator, it translate from it’s code to G-code that X-Carve understands.

If you want a post-processor make the G-code then import that into Easel.

If you want to let Easel do the G-code
Inkscape is a free and popular vector graphics software (makes SVG files), I have used it, i think it’s easy and great to use. I did some Google searches and Inkscape can take a halftone file convert it to be saved as a SVG.
Here is a YouTube video Create Halftones In Inkscape Easily Without Cloning, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHaPLOyQbeo

Well good luck and hopefully someone who as “done it” will reply for you.

1 Like

Hi Doug, thanks for the reply! I want to do the 60 degree V-bit halftoning with X-Carve. Just lines of varying depths of circles. Would this allow me to do that?

Small up on this message as I’m facing the same issue.
I have generated the g code fro, Halftoner 1.6 but Easel does not accept it. I new in CNC and don’t know g code so I don’t know how to fix the issue and make it work through Easel.
I know there are solutions to use Universal GCode Sender but as I’m not use to use that software I’d like to stick with Easel.

Any one who can help?

PS: the guide CNC halftoning - Step by step is well done and explains very well how to use Universal gcode sender. Check it out (but I still want to use Easel for this :slight_smile: )

Thanks.

Hi Vince,

I spent a lot of time struggling with easel and doing halftones. I admit that Ihaven’t tried it lately so things may be different now. The bottom line is that UGS (for now) is much more reliable for sending simple gcode. You don’t have all the modeling overhead and the interface to control your CNC is much more direct. Its a very simple software to use. I believe that every software shines on its own areas of specialty. Easel is a great design software for modeling new carves and does well with sending those carvings to your CNC but as a simple g-code sender, not so much (IMHO). Thats why software specifically designed for this single task really can’t do anything but outshine the others in this area.

I suggest you look at UGS a bit. Its about a 10 minute learning curve and you’re good to go :slight_smile:

Yea it will make all this really easy but I didn’t want to dirty the waters. :slight_smile: And no, its not ready yet unfortunately.

1 Like

Second the Universal G-Code Sender. I was in the same boat with trying to import the Halftoner G-code into Easel. Finally explored outside Easel and looked at UGCS and Chilipeppr. UGCS is the easiest. You just save the G-code from the Halftone Program and import it into the UGCS. Worked great!

2 Likes

I really need to get my UGS replacement in order :). I did a halftone with UGS last night and, even knowing what I was doing, I messed up the first one because of the UGS interface. Oh, and it also locked on me on my second attempt. Thankfully I did a homing cycle prior and was able to continue where it left off.