Halloween Grave stones and decorations

It takes longer but if you do a few dust coats with spray paint it won’t eat the foam just stay far away with the can.

Once the foam is sealed you can use any type of paint
Her are a couple of foam tombstones I did before my CNC days. Paint technique is the part to see

This was done with acrylic base coat. The black is spray laquer. Finally, touched up with gray acrylic

2 Likes

Spray cooking grease. You won’t have motor oil to get rid of. used it to cast this. Form almost fell off itself.

4 Likes

Spray Paint (from a can) will not work. (as already stated)
I use regular latex house paint and spray with my HVLP sprayer.
I feel it is a pretty cheap option. You can get the paint colored any way you want.
Then you can clear coat with a spray can paint.

Any type of oil. Mineral oil,spray Pam, wax. No motor oil

1 Like

Wow, thanks for the tombstones. Those are great. Now, you need to add some meshmixer tutorial videos on your site. :wink:

1 Like

I was huge into halloween props about 17 years ago. I used to use spray paint on foam to get the weathered look on it. If you did it lightly enough, the foam would eat away just enough to leave a “pebbly” look. I used a hot soldering iron to make the cracks. Once I had everything right, I’d use acrylic paint to paint the lowlights. In some cases, I’d mix epoxy resin and lightly brush it on to give it a hard protective shell.

For my tombstones, I learned to do a 2 layer system and would put 1/2" or 3/4" PVC pipe inside to be used over rebar for “hold downs”. I’ve also just skewered them with rebar and put into ground to keep from blowing away.

Phil I love you

1 Like

Stay away from him. He’s my goto guy first.

1 Like

@PhilJohnson STOOOOOOOP!! Haha. Hocus Pocus is my wife’s absolute favorite movie. Now look what I’m going to have to surprise her with whenever I get vcarve so I can do the 3D carvings. Haha

1 Like

Foamular from menards?

What bit are you using for the foam

I understand 2 flute spiral. What is 100% step down?

I have a skull candy dispenser I’m working on but have no time to carve. Anyone want to give it a try? wood base with a plexiglass top. thinking of having a spider or something you spin in the teeth for the candy to come out.

2 Likes

I posted it separately for anyone not reading this specific post.

1 Like