Hanging edge light question

So plan on making a light for my daughter from a kids show.

Couple questions. I’ve looked on YouTube and this forum. I plan on making a shield with a pocket and this design will go on it.

1. does light have to shine straight down on edge or can I pul them on top shining down or lining the inside to get the same effect?

2. best bit used for a profile cut of a acrylic is an upcut? I have a .25

As long as the leds are lighting up any edge you will be okay.

2 Likes

As long as the light is on an edge of the Acrylic you are going to be fine, and yes upcut single flute. More flutes equal more problems IMO.

3 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for advice I’ll work on this over the next couple days. I’ll show the process. LED is coming in on Tuesday

1 Like

So everything went great except cutting the profile out. I’m gonna try and salvage this. I wanna cut around the shield. I tried using an upcut 2 flute with many passes and didn’t work. What can I use? Can a downcut flute work??

I don’t want to be that guy but if you search for cutting acrylic you’ll find tons of threads with info. Some have speeds feeds and types of bits

1 Like

Yeah after I posted I am searching. Just wanted to also show off my blunder.

You’ll like this. Whole time I had this from purchasing machine last year.

Oopppssss

Well made some progress. Def single flute was so much better. Will read up on bases. My acrylic was .093 thick. I think I need thicker and should’ve left it in the square instead of cutting it out

I had a lot of chattering. I was using a 2 flute upcut and going 35ipm .010. I switched to a 1 flute and went .010 and had no issues at all. I think thicker acrylic will help also

Thank you though! I will read about that base tonight!

1 Like