Happy Valentines Day! (PROJECT SHARE!)

@PhilJohnson Awesome work and thank you for all the knowledge you are sharing on the forums. Do you mind my asking what was the total cut time for this project?

1 Like

Pinterest is another good ā€˜idea getterā€™!

1 Like

Thanks for this Phil. Here is another success ā€¦

5 Likes

MANY thanks Phil !! Truly a big hit in NC.

3 Likes

Thanks for the files and the inspiration Phil!

1 Like

Gotcha. Went ahead and removed. Apologies - the title was confusing.

1 Like

Ok, newbie hereā€¦I have Vcarve desktop. When I download Philā€™s file and view / preview the toolpaths, it looks just like his post.

If I try to edit the text, and recalculate the Vcarve toolpath, it shifts the Vcarve path up and right, off the heart.

Iā€™m missing something, and my understanding of Vcarve is REALLY minimal when stuff starts layering and doing nifty stuff.

Help? Thanks!

1 Like

Yessir. Literally did nothing more than install the font, clicked on your initials and the text icon, changed your initials to mine, and recalculated toolpath.

Frankly, if it HAD calculated correctly, Iā€™d have cut it wrong, because I didnā€™t even change 2017 to 2018ā€¦but I never got that far.

1 Like

Also, the link for the tree .stl isnā€™t working now, if youā€™re willing to reshare?

For future reference, Iā€™m still curious how Iā€™ve managed to displace the Vcarve toolpath though.

Thanks Philā€¦couldnā€™t tell you the gremlin, but redownloaded from your website and everything works as it should. At least I feel a little less stupidā€“couldnā€™t see how I was doing anything abnormal. I still have SOOOO much to learn with Vcarve AND UGS, but Iā€™m back on track now. Thanks again for the share.

1 Like

@PhilJohnson so my sister is getting married and she wants me to make coasters for the weddingā€¦ after some talking she says ā€œwhat about something like we carved our names in to the bark of a treeā€ ā€¦ of course the this is the first thing I think of when she said that.

I cant tell from the pictures (because it looks so real), I know you 3d carved it, however is the bark curved? Like it is a real slice of a tree? or is the bark portion flat and it is just the illusion?

I think I will have to do it like the others that did not have the heart pocketed to make it workā€¦ otherwise I think I would have to do an inlay of acrylic or resin to be able to put a drink onā€¦ I donā€™t think that would work out too well.

any thoughts?

does it itch?

2 Likes

ooohhhhh I like it! This project might make me buy a laserā€¦ then I can do the stuff on the top and not be real deep

you are the man sir

1 Like

Ha ha ha ha perfectā€¦ well my house is 5 miles from West Virginia Borderā€¦ you can hear the banjos if you listen close.

3 Likes

Why not just carve these?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XHJ3WT7/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1521168742&sr=8-8&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=wood+slices&dpPl=1&dpID=51lvOJDt1PL&ref=plSrch

3 Likes

I did that for some cup cake stands and they worked great.

1 Like

I made these nameplates for my wedding. Still not finished.

The only downside was the have a rough side and need a lot of sanding and have a big bow so a lot of clamping pressure ^^

2 Likes

that is a good ideaā€¦ I like the chunky bark more than what those have but it is an option.

Where did the find the raw material for those? I happened on some thicker ones from a friend who cut a tree down on his property and they ended up with some pretty gnarly cracks just from ambient drying.

Did you treat yours in any particular way?