Has anyone ever attempted an 80% lower receiver with their X-Carve?

I also do engraving on the mag Wells for people.

And this is 100% easel. Zero other software.

At one time I was in like the top 100 easel users. I have made this software do my bidding without fail. I’ve actually considered a 500x500 just for aluminum. Would likely be able to speed things considerably

1 Like

2 Likes

This is the one that forced my hand… it wouldn’t work in my hand-router based jig.

2 Likes

Yep, I actually made a few jigs and machined several receivers. I forgot to update the thread. I see you used an M16 FCG pocket, same as me. Make sure your 07/02 is up to date for manufacturing :wink:

1 Like

Stock machine, 6061 billet & forged 7075, v carve pro, .25 endmill, 611 at lowest speed, no problem. Work slow, don’t rush. engraved with .25 90 degree good also.

1 Like

this one is missing a hole :slight_smile:

Looking to build my first CNC for various small projects, but would really like to be able to finish out a few 80% receivers. Considering the C-Beam OpenBuild design, or perhaps the X-Carver. What range of Z travel do you need to make that cut? Is that a limiting factor, or did you lift the whole gantry up with a lower receiver hole in your MDF bed? (If so, I guess that wouldn’t work for a C-Beam)

My wasteboard is divided into 10"wide strips, separated by t-track. Removing one wasteboard plank gets me just enough room to sneak the receiver and clamping jug under the y/z axis. I also have a plug that it fits into that space that acts as a holding fixture. No vice.

Nice. How much Z travel do you need? I might end up customizing my own build, but I want to make sure I have enough wiggle room.

You only need 1.25" of milling Z travel to handle the pocket, plus enough to move it, zero etc. When my machine comes apart for a n influx of new stuff (income tax) I’ll go up to a 4 or 5" z slider, and raise my rails.

1 Like

Hey Christopher,

That looks fantastic! I am looking at the feasibility of doing the same. Are you using Easel or another app for your setup?

Are the factory homing switches precise enough to use in this application?

How do you level your workpiece for engraving?

Thanks.

Stephen

any chance you are willing to share your easel setup? For both jig and final product?

i’m super sorry for the delayed responses… i have been too busy in the shop to check in here much. and just assembled my 2nd (highly modded) machine for projects such as this…

Any chance you can share your files for the templates/fixtures you use to hold the lower?