Having an issue with Y axis not cutting square and Z axis Depth

One good/bad thing about using a wide bit is that it shows you if your spindle isn’t square to the board. Normally, it would be hidden because there’s so much overlap on small bits. It looks like you need to shim the bottom of your spindle out a bit to make it square to the board.

The way I figure that is because it looks like the bit is cutting deeper on the front side than the back, creating a sort of ramp or sawtooth wave (as in the electronic sine wave style sawtooth). I would suggest adding a couple small strips of business card paper just above the bolts at the bottom of the Z axis makerslide, between the makerslide and the carriage, and cutting a smaller wide pocket .010" deep in your existing wasteboard pocket. As long as you get 2-3 good passes back and forth, you can dial it in with more or less shim stock. After you add/remove a shim, re-cut the small wide pocket a couple inches up so you’re using a new section of the big pocket.

Once you get it as perfect as you want it, re-cut the entire wasteboard pocket another .010" deeper to remove the existing mill marks. When you get rid of the sawtooth cuts, you’ll know it’s exactly perpendicular to the wasteboard.

I had to do the same type of thing when I installed the 611, except I had to shim the top out. You can see that I had to use quite a bit of shim stock up at the top (yellow strips of business card), but a single shim strip at the bottom will make a lot more of a difference than a strip at the top.

This is assuming I was looking at your picture correctly, and the “vertical” part of the sawtooth was facing the back of the machine. If it’s facing the front, then you will need to shim at the top like I did.

2 Likes