Having tear out issues

So I went to make a dog leash hanger for the misses on my X-Carve, and I’m getting a lot of tear out. Using a Amana Spektra 1/8" Compression Spiral bit. Using the recommended tool speeds in Easel. Anyone have input on what’s going on? Using white pine (which I know isn’t the best material but some parts are super smooth, others are definitely not.

My experience with tear out on my cnc is that the direction of cut and the grain direction sometimes works out and sometimes it tears out. What’s your depth of cut on the first pass?

A compression bit only used partially depthwise = upcut.

You need to engage the full length of the cutter to get “compression” cut.

I have to question why is the depth so deep?? (it looks quite deep)
I have a compression bit and hate it. (if you want it, I’ll send it to you)
It does exactly what it says. (it compresses the cuttings and creates a mess in the kerf)
Use a down cut bit and don’t go so deep.
Take light depths of cut per pass.

1 Like

Well, I don’t know how to figure out what the first pass depth is… But the depth per pass (if it’s different than the first pass) is 0.05 in. Feed rate is 40 in/min and plunge rate is 12 in/min (which I must admit I’m blindly letting Easel decide for me as I haven’t researched into this yet).

Ahhhh… Well then, I guess I need to go order more tooling then. And also feel a little stupid for nothing checking into that first lol.

It was 3/4" pine, and had a 1/4" cut (because why not?). Mainly it was just an experiment, as I didn’t know what it would look like. I do love the depth, but holy crap it wasn’t worth the frustration.

Pine should be an OK choice for what you’re doing. I think you have two main issues.
One, the bit you’re using isn’t the right bit for what you want to do. Compression bits are bets suited for through cuts. It will upcut the bottom of the board and downcut the top of the board to prevent tearout especially on playwoods. I would recommend a 2F 1/8" spiral fishtail down cut bit. That bit will keep a clean look on the surface and will do a decent job in the pocket.
You would also have success with an 1/8" straight cut, but I would stay away from the upcut bits for this project.

I think the above changes will help you out a lot, but another thing that might make you happier with the cut is reducing the overall depth. You’re wanting to go for a striking contrast between the stain and the cutout, then a simple 1/8" to 1/4" depth will get you there without a problem.

Another fun option is to use V-carving on the lettering to give it some more style.

Give it a try and let us know how it turns out!