Help! Making this JIG and stuck on how to proceed

We sale active RFID tags and sometimes we get request for them to work in an outside environment. So we need to modify a standard project case to achieve what our customers want. The battery needs to be flush to the bottom of this case, but two screw posts are in the way. So I created this small concept Jig (see picture) that holds three units at a time so I don’t have someone standing by a drill press drilling all day. My idea is to scale this into a larger Jig once I figure everything out. Here is where I am stuck. The case is 24mm the Jig is 5/8 MDF board or 16mm width is 10mm to post to height 15mm to post. The post is 7mm diameter at 5mm in height. How do I keep the bit high then plunge to cut off the 5mm post? I am sharing my easel drawing. Any advice is truly appreciated. I hope this was not to confusing of a request.

Here is the link.

Best Regards,

Chuck Stygar

1 Like

Hello Phil,

First thank you so much in replying to my questions. You lost me on your meaning “Jog it to the top of one and draw a fill circle”

If I change the Z to 24mm Then place a circle cut to 22mm. I would need it to plunge down to 18 mm and then start cutting or this will take way to long watching it cut multiple depth starting at 24mm. Is their a way to have it plunge to 18 and then start cutting its multiple depth (this is ABS plastic I am thinking 4 passes at 1.4mm= 5.6mm)? I also just purchases V Carve Desktop but have no experience with it. Would V Carve be better on this?

Thanks again for your patience.

Best Regards,

Chuck Stygar

I Dont use Easel but I think I get what Phil is saying.

Jog (move ) The bit over the first post and since Easel doesnt have a start depth setting as @RobertCanning has stated, Pretend that the case is a solid block and start cutting a circle or pocket above one of the posts. Make you are cutting depth the equivalent of what the measurement of the case is from the rim (z zero) to whatever depth it is to remove the post. The machine will air cut for a short while as it descends but as it does it will start to do real work.

But if you have v carve desktop, in my personal experience, I would use that.

You might want to invest in V-Carve by Vectric. If you are doing things for your business, it really is a valuable tool. This is easily accomplished with V-Carve.

Several packages will do it. I use EstlCAM and you can specify safe and starting heights, which should cover it.

It would probably be quicker to either use a dremel cut off wheel to take the majority of the post of, and then use xcarve to clean it up, or just use a drill press and a wide bit. If you try and take too much of in one go with the xcarve, you risk breaking the post off at the base.

If you use the dremel method, cut of the majority of the post, say within 2 or 3mm. The cut will most likely be slightly angled. Use a block, say 5mm high to set the Z height, and use the above suggestions of using the xcarve to make a fill circle, starting at 5mm and going down 4.9mm or so. It will air cut for a mm or so, depending on your dremel skills.

Lay the surfacing passes out in Easel without worrying about the height. I’d simulate it by making 3 pockets that are the depth of the studs. Then export your gcode from Easel and open it up in a text editor. You should be able to spot the places where the bit gets raised after finishing one pocket and then moves to the start of the next one. Start hacking at the values until you get what you’re looking for.

You can test the gcode by importing it back into Easel and making “air cuts” with your XC.

This is probably most easily done by coding it yourself this way, that way you have full control of where the bit is.

My 2 cents.