Help - New, not a clue

Hi all,

Completely new to this. I have (waiting to be put together) a CNC 3018 and am running a Mac (I do have a windows laptop coming).

Found Easel which is great but I’d like to cut a 3D relief, just a simple curve (trying to radius a guitar fret board).

Looks like Fusion 360 can create one (I can download one) but how do I get it out (file) so as to import into Easel (if this can be done).

OR

What is the software path to putting together a relief carve? 1. Build 2.convert to Gcode? or something to run the CNC.

I maybe looking at this from completely the wrong angle but everything I’ve tried I can’t get a file from one program the other. None of the output file types are input file types for the CNC carvey bit

Help!

Many thanks in advance guys.

You need 3d software. I use Rhino 3D. It was kind of the standard hobbiest software 10 years ago. To make a fretboard, I’d draw a rectangle the width of the fretboard . Then I’d draw a line with the radius I wanted and put them together. In Rhino it would be trimming the rectangle to the arc. That leaves a shape that becomes a planar surface.

The next step is to extrude that surface the length of the fretboard. That gives you a rectangular fretboard. Then I would draw two lines in the top view representing the taper. I’d extrude those lines through the previously drawn fretboard creating 2 surfaces.

Then I’d split the two tapered surfaces from the fretboard. With a little trimming you’d have your fretboard. Next is to add inlay holes and fretslots.

Once you have the drawing, you create an STL file. I use Meshcam to take the STL file and create gcode. Once I have the Gcode, it can be loaded into Easel or Universal Gcode Sender which is what I would use.

I cut my fretboard radii with a roundnose bit. Then I switch to a 1/8" straight to do the dot holes and the taper cut. I scribe my fretslots with a dremel tool in the router, then go to a stewmac slotting system with a saw to cut them.

you can see what I do here:

Using an X-Carve CNC router to make an electric guitar. | Telecaster Guitar Forum (tdpri.com)

Press a button and out pops a guitar build. | Telecaster Guitar Forum (tdpri.com)

This is a 4 or 5 part thread. Part 4 I make a neck on the cnc.

Let’s make a neck! | Telecaster Guitar Forum (tdpri.com)

Many thanks

I’ll read through the thread. It looks like Easel will be very useful for inlay cutting, both bits.

Right, now to put the CNC3018 together :slight_smile: