Help understanding feeds and speeds for newbies

I’m away from my shop computer. If you can wait, I have drawn Plan for better and easier silencer for shop vac. I’ll find it and post tomorrow.

1 Like

Thank Ryan. I did try to move the z axis down but the spindle blocked the path. I supposed I could remove the spindle and accomplish what you are mentioning. That helps, thanks!

Here is the picture of Shop Vac silencer I’m using. I couldn’t find cut Plan, but on the picture showing all dimensions. I used Dado for joints, it’s your decision. Foam insert I purchased single bad size from bed sheet/pillow section from Walmart. It’s in the small bag, not expensive, like $18 or something.

1 Like

Your assembly looks fine,but you should have about 22cm (.8 inch) between the back of the vwheel and the X-Carriage plate. My allen wrench fits in that space (it is tight, but it fits)

I don’t know where you live. Depending on where you live, go and buy a dremel tool or a knock off of one for less money and make sure it has thin cut off grinding wheels in the kit. Also buy a cheap set of metric allen wrenches. Cut enough off the short side of a 3mm one so you can get it on the button head blots in the photos. then do the adjustment needed.
V wheels need to be tight enough that you can not rotate them with out moving the part they are attached to. You do not want the so tight that they cause binding. It is best to test how easy or hard a part moves with the belts off and pushing with a single finger in the center of the part.

Hope this helps

Dave

1 Like

I did that at first, the I started doing during my cut setup process…

step 1: set up work piece
step2:check Belting, wiring, and v-wheels x/y axis
step 3: run home cycle
step 4: tighten the top two z-axis v-wheels…( they will be above the plate)
step 5: lower z-axis until you can get to bottom wheels…
step 6: raise z-axis and insert bit
step 7: set work zero…

I need to figure out if I still have a copy of LEAN work instruction template I did for my former employer… and make up some for my startup and running of the x-carve… and the short “kneeboard” quick check sheet to hang on my machine.

1 Like