Help with cutting Aluminum

The medallions (I made the handy display case with the x-carve too!):

Profiling: DOC: .005 (per pass); Feed: 40 ipm; Bit: 1/8" two flute destiny viper
Engraving: DOC: .001 (per pass, .002 total); Feed 40 ipm; Bit: 30 degree engraving, .01" tip

Air System:
Ordered this: http://www.amazon.com/Yosoo-Coolant-Lubrication-Milling-save-energy/dp/B00ZOQ6X10?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
And connected it to my compressor (Calfornia Air Tools, Super quiet) with this:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_498367-47120-SGY-AIR201_1z10r73__?productId=50129864&pl=1
because, if you cut this yellow air hose, it fits perfectly info the loc line on the mister. I do not use mist, just the forced air. I have the air compressor set to 20-30 lbs and it clears chips perfectly and also cools the bit. I spritz the bit with wd 40 sometimes, but it is not necessary.

The metal is brass: 0.125" x 2" Extruded C360 H02 (Half Hard) Brass Rectangle Bar from onlinemetals.com

Using these same settings, I made a holder for my Yeti Tumbler for my boat (a real life safer). Here is a close up. I did sand this a bit but the profile fiinish in this 1/2" aluminum was very, very nice. The two chamfered holes in the top were cut first and were used to hold the piece while profiling. I do not believe in using tape (crazy), or clamps (bit hazard). I always figure out a way to securely affix the metal to a planed flat milling surface. I also surface plane the metal to ensure an “level to the machine” surface for etching:

For the BB Medallions, I cut them all out. Then etched them with a jig I made for this project. You can see how each medallion (and any future medallion I make) is held securely in this jig. This is a very, very rigid machine and a very secure hold down. What you can’t see to the lower left is a tapered hole for “zeroing” my machine. I mannually snug my bit into this hole in the jig that is permanently affixed to my machine. THen, I zero my machine and can etch any or all of the slots whenever I want.

1 Like