Help with figuring out how to stain wood with two different stain colors

Hello,

I am trying to learn how to make signs that are carved with multi-layers have different stain colors depending on depth. So what I would like to be able to do is end up with a sign where there are raised letters that are stained a lighter color and then the bottom layer or deepest carve would be a darker stain color. I can’t figure out how to go about doing this. Tried searching online for some tutorials but couldn’t find anything. Has anyone been able to do this?

Sounds like essentially you want to make your own “plywood” Like if you got the pre-stained MDF in the inventables shop, and glued them one on top of the other, and cut that out you would have layers of different colors. Or you could stain your own different wood-stains and glue them together. Depending on how thin you want your layers, you can get hardwood 1/4" thick boards or whatever and glue those directly together to get different wood colors.

@TylerCzerwinski maybe try typing in painting a raised letter sign and see what you can find.

In Youtube type in “stacked lettering signs stained”. I have also seen videos were they use the stain markers and paint pens, just cant find them.

1 Like

Thank you everyone. I am going to check these suggestions out.

1 Like