Here we go again: Totally f****d tollerances

You measure 137.5mm diagnoally from your 100x100mm square? It should read 141,42mm.
I believe Erik was talking about your entire machine surface :slight_smile:

Oh I measured it from the inside, sorry

I haven’t carved anything since the last template went totally unacceptable in terms of tollerance. But I just noticed cutting some straight channel to measure the bit diameter that the bit itself is dull, and a right back wheel of the X carriage is not touching the rail. But I usually check them when the machine is working and this not happen. Easy fix by the way.

I guess this bit is basically dead.

It is not important how you measure it as long as you do it the same on both sides.

From your pictures it seems that the bit stepped aside, either by losing steps or pushing play to the other side. I cannot see it being in X or Y in your pictures. If your writing is in the X direction I would certainly check the lower Z axis wheels and maybe the lower bolts between the X gantry and Z axis makerslide, if these bolts are too long you get this play too.

All wheels need to touch the rail which is difficult on the X gantry. You need to make all 8 wheels carry the load.

I checked the measurement as the pic you attached and I can say is pretty much 141.42/45 on both sides.

That looks ok so if your X axis is not sitting square in neutral there is something else wrong.

My reinforcement clamps the two makerslides together with an aluminium strip in the middle. During assembly I found it easy to introduce tension into the alignment. First step is to loosen up the joining bolts and Y gantry bolts. Then adjust the excenters on the X gantry until you can barely turn the wheels by hand. Shift the X gantry left and tighten the left bolts in the Makerslides and joining bolts, then move it and do the same on the right side, at last the middle. All wheels should take their share of the load. Loose wheels should not occur after assembly.

When X and Y are set all is left to verify the Z axis and spindle mount, at 2kg load pulling on the bit at wasteboard level you should see less than 0.2mm movement. If it is more and you hear a click check the wheels and washer thickness inside the wheel.

The wide maker slide is the one piece that now come standard with the machine?

I measered it too, and look like mine is ok? Am I a lucky one?

I have two long piece of steel on top and side of the X axis bolted togheter to stiffen it. Maybe I have tightened to much the screws?

Anyway I have not correctly understood this `[quote=“ErikJanssen, post:29, topic:32163”]
When X and Y are set all is left to verify the Z axis and spindle mount, at 2kg load pulling on the bit at wasteboard level you should see less than 0.2mm movement. If it is more and you hear a click check the wheels and washer thickness inside the wheel.
[/quote]

Yeah, I wanted to order one last month…year! But then the thought of disassembling all the machine were too much descouraging!

Yep the wiring was my “ok no I don’t want to do it”.

But there’s a cable that go through one of the bar if I’m correct

I don’t use limit switches, seem not so hard to do it in fact… I’m thinkink about place an order…

Tell me more about it [quote=“BobJewell, post:49, topic:32163”]
I also ordered wide maker slides and new plates for the Y axis, ( as per Curtis’ mod) but that will come later.
[/quote]

Improving the X axis will not improve the Z axis, if you have play somewhere in the Z axis you have to adress that. The new double makerslide is a lot stiffer but with the delrin wheels there will always be some play.

Wow, that’s a lot more than I can make alone right now. I’m considering to change the X axis and stiff the 2 Y rails with 4 per side bracket

Yep, also found today while machining foam (yes, foam…) that Z has a LOT of chatterin. But I can assure that I don’t have all that chatter cutting MDF

Ok that’s not a problem.

While we are here, have you any idea of an ideal dimension for those stuff

Re-checked EVERYTHING, but the machine continue to cut with an absurd tollerance of 0.7/8mm. Profiling are smaller, pocket are bigger. Don’t know whate else to do.