Hi there, would movie prop or animatronic projects be of interest to you?

Superb Tony!!! Thank you so much for your reply!! Very best wishes Dave

Electronics, software, embedded software, 3D design here. I’m interested in your animatronics work.

Hi Dave,
I would definitely be interested in your projects. Those kind of projects are really cool!

Hi Larry, thank you so much for your comment!! Superb!!! I’ve got a number of projects in mind that I think would be of interest to the community…looks like I’d better start drawing some of them up:)

All the very best

Dave

Lol, overcoming hose-ups makes us the people we are:) There are so much highly skilled & talented makers on the forum…its amazing!!

2 Likes

Hi there Angus, thank you so much for sharing the thread!! What a fantastic build!! It’s interesting to see how much the X-Carve has changed the way Sean works!! I’m sure I’ve seen some of his YouTube videos!!
Thank you so much again.

Very best wishes

Dave

1 Like

Hey @DaveSullivan

I’ve been a member of RPF for years. I’ve even made a full-size, wearable Iron Man MKIV costume out of craft foam, which I then case hardened with a two-part plastic. One of the reasons I’m seriously looking into a drag-knife is to be able to cut out pepakura files. So short answer - long, I would love to see what you make. I’ll probably be doing a YouTube video of building at least a helmet.

I’ve done lots of prop making in the past, before it was cool to post videos of it. One of my next projects would be something like a Skyrim/Frazetta Death Dealer helmet. I even sculpted my own chestburster for a special FX company when I lived in TX.

I’m currently making a 12’ wooden boat whose parts can all be cut out with an XC1000, especially once I iron out the kinks for indexing large parts by marching the zero down the work. My first attempt will be a half-scale version of an 8’ boat to make a coffee table out of.

This is really exciting as it goes right along with what @SeanKeplinger is doing with his mind-blowing rifle prop.

Later,

Chris
www.midnight-maker.com

2 Likes

Had to look up Animatronics /shameface.

RE: Animatronics - I can’t seem to think of anything else besides a T-800…

Lol, ummm, now that would be a fun project!!! :smile:

Glad to see interactive people here like you Dave. Welcome.

:slight_smile: don’t worry Justin…it’s not a word that crops up much in general conversation!!

Hi Alan, thank you so much!! I can’t wait to get started, and upload some fun projects!!
All the very best

Dave

I would be very interested in methods of motion like gas/piston and linear actuators - how to establish the correct angles and attachment points, incorporating limits, and inter-connected joints. I while back I used a screen door piston and a compressor to nearly disastrous effect. It’s a lot harder than it looks to calculate the location of linear actuators.

Hi Chris,

Heeey!! The RPF…I used to go on there quite a lot in the early days!! It’s a fantastic community for prop makers!!
The Iron Man costume sounds cool!!! It’s quite a skill creating all of those compound curves in foam!!

A drag knife would be a fantastic addition to your bit box!!! I without doubt have got one on my shopping list!!

I can’t wait to start sharing my projects!!! I intend to upload all of the digital files, as well as full instructions, and reference images…prop making is so much fun!!!

YouTube is a great method of sharing your knowledge…I’m going to be starting a YouTube prop making channel very soon!!!

Love Skyrim…the helmet should be an interesting build!!!

Strange but true…I had an original foam latex ‘Chestburster’ in my workshop, that is until it turned to dust!!!

Wow!!! a 12’ boat on the X-Carve…what an amazing project!!!

Thank you so much Chris!!

Take care

Dave

Hi there,

As far as the Easel projects I intend to create goes…I will be giving advice on the use of electrical, and pneumatic actuators, as well as the selection, and use of RC equipment in the film industry.

Oh dear:( you won’t be trying that again in a hurry!!!

Very best wishes

Dave

1 Like

Thank you so much Alan!!!

Hey Dave,

There’s a very real possibility that if you come up with a Project epic enough, Inventables will throw some serious cash your way. That’s how Sean started out, just talking about making a prop, then Zach offered him an opportunity to take it up a notch if he documented the process. I’m doing a similar thing on a couple of other Projects. One member financed his 500mm machine upgrade with his winnings, which is very cool to see. The point is that Inventables is investing in the community to bring this thing to life. The fact that you’re willing to share your files, etc. is a very welcome addition to our little corner of the Interwebs…

1 Like

Another exciting thread. I can feel the creative juices starting to slowly defrost…

Making things that move, you bet. Looking forward to your projects and input.

Christmas in around the corner… I can smell a project coming