Homing issues after assembly

I’m having an issue with Z axis homing after assembly. I’ve checked the wiring multiple times and the pots and dip switches are confirmed to match the instructions. I’ve even disassembled and reassembled the controller just to be certain.

When I attempt to home the Z-Axis, the motor does not stop when the homing switch is pressed. Any thoughts?

Did you go into the machine inspector and try the linit switch manually and see if it was working?

Sorry, should have mentioned that too. Yes, I did that. X and Y work normally. Z has no response. I decided to pull the Z switch and test it with the X-axis wiring. The switch worked, so I can rule out a bad switch.

Check wiring with a ohm-meter.

Sorry, but since I don’t know what I’m looking for, what should I be checking? What are the normal values?

It doesnt matter :slight_smile:
If the wires are broken you will measure no continuity, and if you measure any continuity they are good.

I’m new to all of this. I have my machine put together and I’ve checked the wiring and everything. When I go to setup, I can get to the homing sequence step and then it goes downhill FAST. The router goes all the way to the top and just clicks and bumps until I hit stop. The x and y goes to the back left corner and just keeps bumping until I cut it off. I didn’t use the right wordage I’m sure, but I am still learning. I’ve read so many forum posts and videos, but I just can’t figure this out. Any help would be so appreciated.

The most common problem I’ve seen with z-homing failing to stop for the limit switch is the wires go to the wrong terminals on the switch. Can you post a closeup photo of the switch wires? One of the terminals is common and the other 2 are either normally-open or normally-closed (and when the switch clicks they reverse that). Seems like inventables could have picked simple normally-open-only microswitches, but they didn’t…

I’m a teacher so I am at school, but I can when I get back home. Is homing switch and limit switch the same thing? I feel like that’s a stupid question. There’s only two wires. A red and black. I know the red goes to the middle and the black goes on the outside one.

In this conversation, yes. The limit switches on a stock X-Carve are only used for homing.

Are you using Easel? You can test your switches in the Machine Inspector. Also make sure that the machine is physically contacting the switch before crashing.

Yes I am using Easel Pro. I will check the Machine Inspector when I get home. I am not sure what the “correct” homing sequence is supposed to look like so I don’t really know what to compare it to. If that makes sense.

Z should lift until it hits the switch, retract a bit, hit it again slower, then retract.
X & Y will do the same, but together.

The retract distance may be an issue. In the machine inspector, you’ll see your $$ grbl settings. $27 is the distance, in mm, that the axes will retract after finding the switch. If it’s $27 = 1, you might want to change it to $27 = 5.

Ok I will try that. Thank you so much!

I find the machine inspector display a smidge laggy, so don’t be surprised if it take a tiny delay before the indicator on-screen turns green…

What do you teach?

I am having the same issue. Went in manually and checked the switches and the all turn green when pressed. I went ahead and changed the $27=5 and about to check. I did notice that my pause run and soft run won’t change to green when pressed…thoughts? The power light is off, so a little confused on that, but one problem at at time…

Very good advice, and another way of testing is start the homing and just reach over an click the switch with your finger. It should then back off and repeat (hit it again) this is obviously useless as an actually homing, but will give you time to stop the homing sequence if it is ignoring the switch…

Does it matter which side the black wire is attached to on the homing switch? I know red goes in the middle.

I teach biology! I have taught physics and chemistry before so I thought I could handle all of the wiring and electrical side of it. I was so very wrong lol

I am completely lost at what you mean. What do you mean all the switches turn green? I have an art business, so I invested in one to cut my stuff out and I’m so frustrated that I am about to take it apart and send it back.