How Best to Control X-Carve Using Linux?

Thanks for the confirming and also for the insight into the problem itself. :slight_smile: I wonder what exactly Easel looks for in order to determine that the local software is installed. It seems like it could be any number of things although I imagine itā€™s just checking for the existence of a running daemon/service?

Yeah, good question. I can tell you that itā€™s not the browser type. I tried the ā€œChrome UA Spooferā€ and set it to a couple different Windows browser types with no luck. I finally decided it wasnā€™t worth my time to diddle with it any further.

No problems with Linux here at all! Iā€™m using Fedora 21 on an old laptop in my basement to control my XCarve+GShield setup. UGS is my workhorse and runs great, as does Easel. Iā€™ve done simple signs, intricate 2.5D carves, and am using my machine to build a 4 foot foam sculpture. Iā€™ve even got a webcam on the thing so I can keeps tabs on long jobs from my office.

Iā€™ve found Ubuntu to have too many bugs to work reliably, and I just canā€™t work very effectively on Win or OSX. Thereā€™s no reason to avoid CNC if Linux is your OS of choice. Welcome!

You run Easel on Linux?

Thanks Mark! Because of the very promising responses here ā€“ yours included ā€“ I see no reason not to go with the X-Carveā€™s default controller configuration. Iā€™m ready to order as soon as Inventables responds with the best way for me to order the X-Carve (as Iā€™m going to be extending its Y-axis right out of the gate).

Sure, you can run the design part of Easel just fine on Linux - that part is fully browser based. You just canā€™t use it as a Gcode sender/machine controller from there. If you export the project as GCode and feed it into UGS, youā€™ll be making chips very quickly.

1 Like

I must be remembering wrong, then. I recall using Easel to design and send the gcode to the machine, but I must have been booted into Win7 at the time (I have ~5 Linux machines, one mac laptop, and one Win7 partition). My bad! I donā€™t use Easel any more because UGS does all the complex stuff, and I learned enough gcode that I can manually type commands for basic cuts (also within UGS).

As part of the Linuxcnc project, there are g-code generators for some common functions (pocket, facing, bolt hole patterns, etc). These are standalone so donā€™t require Linuxcnc and, being written in Python, will run under WIndows.
Handy tools to add to the toolbox.

I am using Fedora 37, and am able to use Easel to send code to the x-carve. A slight challenge to convert the .deb driver to an .rpm, but I used a tool called alien to make that conversion. Once I installed the resulting .rpm file, Easel can control the machine just as it does with Windows or Mac.