How do I get a single path using imported SVG files?

I hope this makes sense. So here is my issue. I’ve seen others with issues using SVG files but mine seems different. When I import my SVG files, they come up correct but each line in my drawing is its own path. With each path comes its’ own tabs. I just go a delete all the tabs, no problem. But I feel like this makes a 20 minute cut into a 4 hour job. How do I fix this issue? I’ve tried “combining” my lines and it just turns out goofy. PLEASE HELP!!!

1 Like

share your file so we can help. Steve

1 Like

I’m having the same problem. 71 Corbel-Model 9-30 AI
The lines are all there but they are separate (at places) and therefore when I run the file it wastes a lot of time in the z-axis.
The file was originally made in AutoCAD, exported as a PDF, open the PDF in Illustrator, and saved as an SVG. In both AutoCAD and Illustrator the line was grouped so that it was one line. Bringing it into Easel separates the lines but not all of them. Help.

Yeah, that happens to me when the original,source was a dxf from OnShape CAD. Fusions seems to do a better job joining the path. But I import the dxf into illustrator and join the path (command-J). I’m sure Inkscape can do the same. You have to a make sure when you join the path you only have one path selected (like if you have nested paths and have them both selected you get crazy results if you join them together. DXF is a crappy format, so often ends up like this. But easy enough to fix in illustrator/Inkscape.

1 Like

I was already working on it when Henry replied, I did what Henry suggested except I used CorelDraw, I drug your file into Corel and joined the curves to make is a single path. Hope this helps
Russell

3 Likes

Thank you RusselCrawford and HenryFeldman! Great advice.
And I can’t believe you actually took the file and remade it. I appreciate you both!

I’ll give it a try this weekend but seeing the file now I’m sure it will work.
Any advice on speed/cutting depth for 3/4" pine with a 1/4" straight bit?

1 Like

You’re welcome, This should be a good place to start,
Russell

1 Like

Awesome! This will be a great start and we will test from there. I’m working with my daughter and it’s a lot of fun to experiment. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

1 Like