How do I uninstall the Easel driver? It kinda "broke" my Shapeoko 3

I have a Shapeoko 3 and decided to see if it was compatible with Easel. I downloaded the driver for OSX (EaselDriver-0.3.2.pkg), installed it and then all hell broke loose.
After installing the driver, the connection between my Shapeoko 3 and the Universal Gcode Sender is intermittent and sometimes is simply not working.

I would like to remove this driver but I found no documentation on how to do this.

Back in the NeXTstep days, one would double-click on the b.o.m. from an installed package to access an option to uninstall it. Not sure what became of that since Apple took over (or was taken over from within)

Here’s a Stack Overflow answer which notes that one can use sudo at the commandline to uninstall packages completely:

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately I already tried that and the package is not registered so it does not appear in the list.
Doing a manual search with the “find” command I found that there was an Easel directory under /Library which contained a Node.js app based on Iris. I couldn’t find anything else with Easel in it’s name.

I find it very sloppy when developers don’t clean up after themselves. There always has to be an uninstaller or at least some sort of log with the changed files.

1 Like

To uninstall Easel on Mac, first stop the running process from Terminal with:

sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.Iris.Iris.plist

Then you can remove that file and the Easel directory:

sudo rm /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.Iris.Iris.plist sudo rm -fr /Library/Easel

1 Like

That’s great, thanks!

I think this should be somewhere in the Support pages when you search for uninstall.

Tonight I’ll see if this was actually causing the problems with my Shapeoko 3 or not. I don’t see any reason why Iris should have anything to do with the serial connection to the shapeoko. It still was a hell of a coincidence that my CNC machine stopped working right after installing this.

We don’t test the Easel driver with Shapeoko 3 so I can’t really say for sure what happened, but if for some reason the Easel driver connected to the port but wasn’t able to cleanly close the port, then UGS might have had trouble connecting. If you had the Easel application still open in your browser, then that’s potentially another way it could have been contending for the resource with UGS.

We added this to the support pages here:

https://inventables.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/2703646-uninstalling-easel-local-driver-from-os-mac-?b_id=9566

Jeff

1 Like