How to eliminate Rings/Toolmarks/StepOver Issue Fusion 360?

I think we were close.
Yes, I’d run a separate operation for the finish pass. It allows more choice in what you do.
For your coasters (I’m assuming), I’d

1. pocket or adaptive toolpath to clear the internal pocket with a bit of radial and axial stock to leave
  2. A finishing toolpath, maybe just another pocket op with a smaller stepover and full feed and depth of cut. I’d leave the same radial stock to leave but no axial.
  3. A contour operation for the interior walls of the pocket
  4. A contour operation for the external wall with a bit of radial stock to leave.
  5. A full depth contour to cut the part free.

It sounds like a lot, but you’ll be able to run everything faster and, under one setup, it’s just one job.

I wouldn’t use a parallel pass inside a pocket like this.

It would also help to use an endmill with a radius. Sometimes called bullnose.

@NeilFerreri1 happy to defer to you on parallel toolpaths - I was just trying to think of a way to reduce the visual rings on a finishing pass. For parallel to work I’m guessing you’d want to make sure it only takes material from the horizonal surfaces and then contour the internal wall?

2 Likes

Nothing really wrong with a parallel finish, but it’s not the most efficient and can create stress on the machine that could transfer to the walls of the pocket. You might also get artifacts where the direction changes or for the plunges if you’re retracting. I think parallel paths are great when you need to finish the top surface of a 3d part, especially when the direction changes happen off part.

2 Likes

This + the different bit and taking the feedrate up to 60 ipm on finishing passes and a .005 stopover did it! I also only did one contour toolpath for the outermost ring (cutting item free), but I did set it up to do multiple depths, with finishing only at final depth, and then enabled repeat finishing pass (spring pass I believe fusion also calls it?).

There were almost no rings after and what there was, sanded off in seconds with 150 grit!
The entire carve time went from an original carve time of 22 min, to a new carve time of 28 min, and cut the rest of the production/finishing portion in half!

As always thanks again for the help everybody, I really appreciate it!

3 Likes

Looks great! Which endmill did you use?

1 Like
1 Like

If you’re going to be making a bunch of these I’d consider one like this.

2 Likes

Neil,

Thanks, I actually make a ton. Any particular reason for the recommendation? Just better durability, lifespan and cut quality?

Yes, yes, & yes. Mainly as a response to the thread topic. It’ll “soften” the edges slightly and reduce the toolmarks.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.