How to engrave small lettering with the X-carve?

@RobertCanning: I hear what you’re saying about the difference in the design font vs. the font in the cut. But I don’t see it. So I took and copied the design image from VCarve, and a photo of the best cut I’ve gotten so far, into the same image so that you could see them side-by-side. That done, they look like the same font to me. So what am I missing?

I have a general question related to my problem carving small text.

Specifically, if the depth-of-cut is set too deep for the bit such that the steppers have trouble driving the bit through the wood (in the X or Y directions) to do the cut, will that bog-down necessarily result in a thermal overload (and thereby missed steps) of the steppers?

Thanks David! I have Java on my computer so that’s no problem. I will check out UGS.

1 Like

I see what you’re talking about @PhilJohnson. But I don’t understand your question. Do you mean what is my plunge rate set to? Or depth-per-pass?

Got it. Still a noob you know. :slight_smile:

Anyway, the depth-per-pass for the border was set to 0.125" because I had wanted it to cut that border in a single pass. But clearly that was too deep. I have since gotten that border to cut just fine by setting the depth-per-pass to a smaller number.

1 Like

I just noticed in your CRV. file that in the tool-path tab under material set up you have the Rapid Z-Gap above material set to 1 inch. That is wasting lots of time just in that. Unless your clamps are an inch higher than the material try lowering that number. I usually use .02

1 Like

OK I just cut all the text with a 60 degree V-bit with no flat depth checked and it took 20 minutes to cut with a Rapid Z-Gap set to .2 the feed rate was 60 IPM and the Plunge Rate was 30 IPM and the Pass Depth was .03.

But I also just discovered I need some help from the pros because my machine is outta wack also as you can see from the cut R.

Forgot to mention this was Select Pine, and the bit is fairly new not many cuts with it.

Fascinating. Your cut is much cleaner than mine. The problem with the wiggle in your "R"s is interesting. Missed steps somehow?

Yes interesting indeed. I’ve been away all summer and this was the first cut since July. So the wiggle is something new to me also. Hopefully I’m not high-jacking your post asking for opinions on that.

Well, my troubleshooting is going to be on hold for a few days. In the process of adjusting the belt tension as @PhilJohnson suggested one of my belts snapped and I haven’t got any spares. FWIW, the tension on the belt hadn’t even gotten to 3lbs yet and the belt fiber pulled apart like it was 50 years old. IMHO, it broke way too easily!

Makes me wonder if there is a better quality belt available somewhere than the ones Inventables sells?

Sorry to hear that but here are some interesting numbers to consider. Using your 30 degree bit with the rapid z-gap at 1 inch the estimated cut time just for the text is 2:06:43. Same bit changing the rapid z to .02 came down to 45:02. Changing the bit to 60 degree with no flat depth comes in at 15:46. All estimates from Vcarve.

@DavidYerkes: No problem. :slight_smile: Finding a solution to your problem will help me learn more about the X-carve. The two problems are probably related anyway as that same sort of wiggle is what I’m seeing on some of the letters in my cuts.

The cut times you shared are also interesting. I had wondered about that 1" Z-gap setting on mine. You didn’t change the height of the lettering at all did you?

Looking at your file the 30 degree bit pass depth is .05 mine was .3 your feed rate is 30 IPM mine was 60 and your plunge rate is 5.0 IPM and mine was 30.

Had the belts secured with zip ties. Where the belt broke was exactly in the middle when I lifted it with the smooth hook on the fishing gauge.

Well, I’m pretty sure I never had them too tight. The belt just broke apart with very light pressure on it like it was aged and crumbling. :frowning:

And if they’re that fragile, I don’t think I want to buy more of the same belts from Inventables. But searching the forums so far doesn’t turn up any suggestions for better quality belts.

1 Like

Yes, I think I will. I had some questions about the new upgrades anyway (like when the new wheel tensioners and eccentric spacers might be available). It seems like the upgrade kit they’re selling only has four uprgades out of maybe a dozen or so that I’ve seen mentioned somewhere in the forums.

I’d also really like to see a side-by-side comparison of the features of last year’s X-carve vs. the new X-carve; what exactly has been improved throughout the machine.

@ErikJenkins that would be a much simpler answer :slight_smile:

Hi Rick,
I am not long at this XCarve thing however, I have been wood working for over 55 years. So the first contribution I would make is don’t use Pine, yes I know it’s cheap but the grain is “furry” for the want of a better word. The next thing I have found is that slow feed rates and high rpm works better. Walnut should cut fine.

This cut is in Tasmanian Blackwood a straight grained fairly hard timber not unlike walnut to work. The dedication lettering is 5.5mm high (capitals) lower case a little less. The smallest heart on the top vine is 0.5mm across. The feeds and speeds were, 6mm sec (around 14 inches per minute) at 16000rpm with a pass depth of 0.3mm and a flat cut depth of 0.6mm. My theory is it is overall quicker and cheaper to cut it slow but to be successfull and therefore only have to do it once.
The lettering, heart scrolls and border pattern were all cut with a 60 degree Vbit I got from Drillman in the USA. VCarve Pro told me that the cut would take 1 hour 32 minutes. I fed the Gcode through Picsender and the actual finished cut took only 28 minutes 37 seconds.
I hope some of this is helpful to you.
Regards, James

2 Likes

On Vcarve pro looks like you click on flat dept button. It is engraving flat depth with tiny step overs. Other than that, excluded main heart shape, it takes less than 10 minutes to carve with regular V carving. Also try 90 degree V bit, which everyones favorite.

Amana has an 18 degree vbit.