How to import DXF files into Inkscape/Easel perfectly to scale

Jeff,

What kind of file is the knife, fork and spoon?

At this point it really doesnā€™t matter. Any will do. I am looking to cut out slots in a plastic and wood for the kitchen stuff. However I donā€™t want to have to measure it. I am taking a picture and putting a scale on the picture. once that is done, I should just scale the whole drawing to the size of scale. Then create a outline of it. Import that into easle, then create g code. At least that is how I envision it.

can someone help me out and look at my dxf file I have tried everything to convert it to a svg and open in easel but it just wont load like the file may be to large or something,im new to all of this so I do not know much about what Iā€™m doing ready_to_cut.dxf (1.9 MB)

can you post one of pictures? I think I get what youā€™re talking about

Chris, how big is the drawing supposed to be? I loaded into Inkscape and itā€™s 70 different parts or 1140 objects, I donā€™t think easel can handle that.

its a lamp so it should be smaller than 31"x31"

In Inkscape I imported it at 1 to 1 scale and it comes in at 34.975in wide and 24.669in high, It loads into Easel but very very very slow and then crashes

that is the same thing I get in easel then it crashes on me

To many objects, the drawing need to broken down into 2-4 separate files

ok thank you for the help,I will try that

Glenn, I am really sorry I fell off the face of the earth trying to get our business up and running. I recently started back up on the posts and am responding to lots of old posts.

When i first did this i thought u were nuts!!!
But after resizing i saw everything was exactly in the right place!!!
Thanks @PhilJohnson Saved me 2 days of work!

1 Like

I open the DXF with Librecad (free) then export->svg works great !

ā€¦ yes, thatā€™s the way but if in metric units I have to underline that five decimal numbers were the must in order to get exact Inkscape measures on itā€™ screen (my example was: 0.997537 )

1 Like

Not. Imorting test square 100x100 mm I was getting 100.265 x 100.265mm . Didnā€™t work enough precise with only two decimals

I seeā€¦ Iā€™m not working to this kind of precision ! :wink:

Have since started using Cut2D Pro. While I havenā€™t tested the easel measurements, the end products are accurate to Ā±0.2mm - in plywood with a 1/8 downcut bit

Iā€™ve been pulling my hair out as I too am having the ā€˜check for open paths and join them before importingā€™ error when trying to an inside or outside outline. This is from a dxf file created in Inkscape.

I have followed the video that @MidnightMaker kindly added to this thread and have joined all nodes which are adjacent.

This is clearly to do with something I am doing wrong as I know that the softawre is smarter then me - anybody got any ideas.

DXF file attached.

chef_knife_copy.dxf (12.6 KB)

Did you design the knife in Inkscape? The lines arenā€™t connected
I made each line a different color for visual.

yes - drawn in Inkscape (itā€™s all new to me).

I have tried combining the lines and connecting the nodes but always get the same issue.

I imported your DXF into CorelDraw and converted the lines to objects, then saved as an SVG then imported into Easel. Iā€™m not sure how its done in InkScape.