Hydrofoil project

What foam? I haven’t used foam except doing a few test cuts. Those I did were with a 1/8 straight cut bit, and they turned out great.

I am planning an entire new board, and intend to cut the foam for the core with the X-Carve, just to make sure everything is straight and clean, to minimize the amount of adhesive and filler I need to use. But for that I will probably need a much longer bit. I have one from my Dremel kit that looks good.

https://www.dremel.com/en_US/products/-/show-product/tools/561-multipurpose-cutting-bit

The material I am using for the molds is a PVC sold as an artificial wood sold under the name of either Azek or Veranda.

MidnightMaker: I tried complicated connections, but found that what works best is just a flat surface to flat surface joint. And they are not bonded by any adhesive. They are held together with screws.

It took a while, but I finally got it together, and out on the water. Still needs a lot of work. I am going to build an entirely new mast, and probably a stabilizer. Then next, and entire new board.

4 Likes

I’m getting much better with the hydrofoil. I think the part that needs the most work now is the one between the board and the kite control bar.

But still, next is a larger front wing, maybe a bigger stabilizer, and a new board. This one is HEAVY!

2 Likes
1 Like

I’m getting ready to carve molds for a new front wing. This one is going to be bigger, to get me up in lighter winds. The previous wing was 230 X 442 mm. This one is going to be 230 X 550 mm.

The top mold is so thick I will have to glue two sheets of PVC together, a 3/4" and a 1/2".

1 Like

Very cool project I would love to make one is there anyway you could share the files thanks