I didn't know, so I asked someone that did - manually moving the X-carve

Care to share the quote?

Link? For what driver? You can spin a stepper as fast as you want. People are (overly) worried about their stepper drivers.

By the way, what do you guys have your grbl Step idle delay ($1) set to for the X-Carve? (I don’t have one)
If you set it to 255 your motors will always be enabled when powered. If you try to back drive the motors while powered down, you can generate enough voltage to enable them and cause them to stop. If you’re forcing them while they’re enabled, well, there’s something wrong with you.

Google “turning stepper motor cause damage” and look for “CompTIA A+ Complete Study Guide”. Turn to page 163, not 144.

It was from this manufacture;

Yep. Good thing no one is talking about damaging the stepper :wink:

1 Like

I know I can power the fan which is connected directly to the power supply when moving it by hand. Damage or no damage. It can’t be healthy for the life of your controller. It may not “blow it out” completely. But who’s to say what the cause of that “mysterious” lost step really is. In my opinion. If it was intended to be moved by hand. It would have a handle on it.

LOL, now that is a funny way to put it Curtis :grin:

The one thing that I think we can all agree on is that it’s their equipment to ruin.

I try to respect my tools and treat them with care, but to each their own, some people see a triangle when they see the object below.

circle

Yes it is there’s to do with as they will lol. And your triangle is obviously a square.

1 Like

This operation is Ok, because the driver chip is powered and has its protection circuitry active.

1 Like

My point is that with $1=255, you should not be able to move your steppers when powered. If power is off, and you drive the steppers by hand, power will be applied to the circuit and enable the motors (also activate circuit protection).

I’m not convinced that the circuit protection would protect against manual movements. Overtemp protection can shut down a driver, and motor, controlled by the driver, but it can’t stop me from spinning my motor by hand. Making sure the motor is enabled when powered can stop me.

I burned out a stepper driver on the X-Controller doing this repeatedly over time. I’m an idiot. Fortunately Inventables didn’t force me to replace the whole unit, but they would have been within their rights to.

Nowadays if I want to move the gantry by hand — which is sometimes necessary for whatever reason — I power down the X-Controller and then physically unplug the motors from it.

1 Like

This is not true. The driver chips have two power requirements, 5 volts for the logic and Motor Voltage for the motor windings.

The outputs (to the motor windings) do not apply any power to the Motor Voltage pins or the 5 volt logic, so even if you are moving the motor to generate back emf on the motor output pins you are not supplying any “power” to the chip protection circuitry.

Example from the X-controller:

[Edit] This is also not true as far as it goes, see later in the discussion.

A protection circuit against back EMF would absolutely protect against manual movements which produce the back EMF. That’s almost entirely their purpose of existing, so why wouldn’t they work?

Nothing about EMF in the data sheet. The protection circuits in the driver datasheet are for overcurrent and thermal shutdown.

I know that the DRV8818 (gShield) senses the current through the windings and prevents an over-current through the windings when it has power.

Even without looking I’m pretty sure the TB6600 has a similar protection circuit.

Some things go without specific mention since data sheets are primarily targeted toward design engineers that “just know” some things.

Notice the protection diodes across the FETs in this partial image from the DRV8818 data sheet.

DRV8818_output

Yes, but diodes don’t need to be powered to do their job, correct?

Yes and No. It depends on the design and what the diode is expected to do.

Diodes can be biased in the “reverse” direction and unless you exceed the reverse junction voltage limit, no current will flow (if you exceed the voltage limit the diode is destroyed).

If you bias the diode in the “forward” direction once the voltage rises above the “threshold” voltage (typically 0.7 volts for silicon and 0.3 volts for germanium) current will flow and as long as you don’t exceed the current rating everything is golden.

Seems simple, yes?

NO.

What happens if we the have the same voltage on both of the diode pins? No current flow.

I’m going to simplify this for illustration purpose (reality is more complex) by saying that the FET is going to remain “off”.

So in the above design snippet if VM = 24 volts and AOUT2 = 24 volts no current flows through the diode (3rd FET/diode pair down the drawing).

If you remove the 24 volts from VM (remove power from the gShield), now you have a forward biased diode and current will flow from AOUT2 to VM.

There are hundreds of designs that use diodes this way so you can’t always assume the simple case.

H bridge designs challenge even experienced engineers when they do their first one.

When you throw in the FET and do the correct analysis you can have forward and reverse voltage and current through the AOUT2 pin without damaging anything and you can protect against back EMF when the driver is powered. Note that when the driver chip is not powered you have completely thrown out that analysis.

According to the manual it has overheat, over current and short circuit protection only.

@LarryM Thanks for the explanations.

And if current flows from AOUT2 to Vm, and Vm is tied directly to Vin (not sure on X-Controller, but it is this way on others), one could power their entire controller if the stepper could provide the voltage. Does that sound right?

I have a e-mail sent to their support department. Will post when they get back to me.

No. VM in that data sheet equates to Vmot in the X-controller. Vmot is the output of a switching power supply not the input.

Here it is. The current is limited by the Vref input to the chip. Only works with power applied to the chip.

1. 100% current settings (Current value)
    100% current value is determined by Vref inputted from external part and the external resistance for detecting output current. Vref is doubled 1/3 inside IC.
    Io (100%) = (1/3 × Vref) ÷ RNF
    The average current is lower than the calculated value because this IC has the method of peak current detection.
    Pleas use the IC under the conditions as follows;
    0.11Ω ≤ RNF ≤ 0.5Ω, 0.3V ≤ Vref ≤ 1.95V