I have lost the carve preview. Solution in OP: WebGL is broken by MacOS Catalina update 2021-007

*NOTE: I have discovered the problem, and it affects more than just Easel. Apple broke WebGL in MacOS 10.15.7 with the latest security update (2021-007). This affects several other applications besides Easel, including Fusion 360. *

If you are designing on a “vintage” Mac (like I am), and what I’ve posted below is happening to you-- good luck. Hopefully enough people will complain to get this fixed without having to do a repair installation.

This is what I got later today after all the trouble I had earlier, which led me to find the source of the problem.

I’m going to leave the rest of the thread alone so it can be found in a search.

Additionally, if I click to resize the preview pane, I am redirected to this:

Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 1.10.50 PM

Using Chrome, latest version. Tried Brave (also latest) same problem.

Tried Safari, and got this when loading the project:

Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 1.39.11 PM

Also-- have removed all locally-stored data (Cookies, etc).

You have cookies disabled, or just manually cleared them out?

Manually cleared all my Inventables cookies. However, this is obviously an issue with my system, as my never-used Safari is also throwing an error.

1 Like

Just downladed and tested with Edge. Same problem.

Just sort of spit balling here, but any chance the display settings of the pc have been modified in some odd way? I tried replicating by messing with quite a few graphics options and I can’t replicate the issue :man_shrugging:

I wish it were something that easy to deal with. This happened suddenly, while I was working on a design in Easel. I thought that maybe it was the project, but this behavior is happening with all my projects. Also, with errors occurring with every browser, my suspicion is that the materials textures are broken. I just don’t know where I could even start to look for that.

More info: When I get that Choose File button (picture above), Easel is looking for a file of this format:

One more piece of info: Firefox completely crashed when opening a project.

Latest: It appears that the last MacOS Catalina Security update broke WebGL.

I don’t have Catalina installed anymore. But just wanted to let you know that Easel works just fine in Safari and Monterey. You might want to try the Safari Technology Preview which has the latest components available here: (Safari Technology Preview - Safari - Apple Developer)

Also if your machine is capable update it to Monterey.

Hope this helps.

Unfortunately, Catalina is as far as I can go with this system. The version of SketchUp that I use isn’t supported past this version. I’ll just do a repair install to remove this update.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.