I have problems! please help?

Old controller odnt provide enough power to make the steppers reach their potensial, so do try much more conservative feed rates to get you going.

Keep RPM low (16k) and use the feed rate Easel suggest, but try much more shallow depth per pass to see if it changes something.

So It looks like I might have a short in the Yaxis motors… Will keep everyone posted!!

2 Likes

What software do xcarve users recommend for importing dxf files? I want to make patterns and need to know what a good program or software I should use? Thank you

What makes you think that?

@GrantLuster You might want to start a new thread on that topic.

1 Like

Very unlikely.

A more likely cause is loss of step along the Y-axis as one (inferior) stepper driver drive two motors, so each Y-stepper only have half the power your X-stepper have. (which also isn’t run at its potensial due to driver limitations)

Another possible cause is overheating of the stepper driver, this will cause sudden “drop-outs” as the over-temp kicks in.

In your case my main suspect is loss of step due to lack of power.

I had this problem using Easel, I now use Vectric Desktop and CNCjs and no longer have the problem. I did try an Easel project the other day and bang it did it again so unfortunately I think there may be a problem with easel

U OK I just got back on sometimes it glitches sometimes it doesn’t I started it right up the motor is cool and I try to just move it around with the machine controls:
I go plus on the Y at 1 inch fine negative fine
.1 of an inch positive fine negative fine
. 01 positive fine negative not good at all … that machine make the noise to move but stays in one spot!

https://discuss-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/original/3X/7/a/7a3e0d65dd179e913578e4783e75032e1b9a90c8.mov
Here is the video

I am sorry but the video is only 3 seconds, what are we supposed to be seeing?

Have you played with your potentiometer? I ran a shield for a long time and dealt with similar issues that either come from not enough amperage being called by the pots, or too much causing temporary shutdown of the drivers. Either way, you should be familiar with the potentiometer in order to get that setup running correctly.

A better, longer video would maybe help diagnose, but your stepper pulley and the v-wheel are moving with each step from what I can see.

I do suggest that you replace ALL pulley set screws with socket head cap screws and use blue Loctite on the threads. This is an absolute necessity IMO.

4 sec is the most it will allow me to post. but…
it is showing that I am clicking on the y axis button to return the head to me in the increment of .01 and it try to move, but is stuck. If change the increment to .1 or 1 or will move in any direction. But when put in “micro” movement .01 or .001 it will not move in the negative y direction

In your 3 second video above it moves toward the front of the machine?

it moves about half way and returns to the same position…

when I bout the machine he updated the firm ware. is there any way to go back? Would this be causing these problems?

Does the other end do the same or does it not move at all in negative direction?

it does the same

@Tammy

So I talked with customer for a long while and we came to the conclusion that my G-shield was bad. They had me switch the x and y wires and try to recreate the problem on the x axis. If the problem stayed on the Y axis it could be a wiring issue or motor problem. If the problem moved to the X axis it was a G-shield problem. My problem moved to the X axis. So I ordered the new x-carve controller and extra wire for the second motor. The machine runs sooo sooo much smother now, with the x-controller! Thanks for all the help!