I need some help with a few things

That bit is likely the problem…

Easel expects a regular endmill with flutes extending all the way to the center. You could adjust the Step Over size to whatever percentage the flute width is to try and get a better cut. That being said if the diameter of a circular cut is large enough for the bit to fit in and small enough to allow the step over to get everything, you will still end up with a knob of material sticking up where the center of the bit was and the flutes did not cut.

That bit is really meant for surfacing or hogging out large amounts of material not really for spaces that are small. The space being carved would really need to be 1-bit width plus 1/2 of the void width for that bit to successfully and reliably carve it.

{:0)

Brandon Parker

@BrandonR_Parker @RussellCrawford
So I switched the bit do a double fluted 1/2" bit and was able to get a super clean cut! :grin: :grin: :grin:

I’m super thrilled!

Now the other two problems? Any Idea why the x carve isn’t cutting Identical circles or shapes like the Hexagon?

and also any Idea why the detail pass is cutting deeper than the roughing pass? is that another potential side effect of the old 1/2" bit I was using for the roughing? To get identical depths on roughing and detail I set roughing to 0.28" and the detail to 0.25" and they came out pretty close to even. The desired depth is 0.25"

Any more help would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

You should set the depth of each bit the same, make sure when you use the Z probe that you do it in the exact same spot on the wood that you did the roughing bit. It needs to be in an area that you did not carve. If you set your Z height on 2 different spots the wood could have a bow or a low spot.

That could be belt tension or machine calibration. I will share a video that I found very useful when I first started. If you have proper tension on your belts and V wheels it should be pretty close.