I need tips to carve granite plaques with XC

Hi
Anyone have you try granite stone carving I need shallow depth carving just surface I try but not
getting success. I face lot of vibration in Z axis in top and bottom sometimes I seen my z axis bottom v wheels get loose often while try to carving. I agree granite is hard but just surface it is possible. any upgrades can I get success.

I already try endmills, diamond V bits. V bits taking very long time if alphabets have more than takes long time. I have makita router I want make possible. anyhelp I appreciate.

Do a search for ‘granite’. You’ll find a few threads on the subject.

Atonwa did some stone work on his Shapeoko: Shapeoko CNC Router, Rigid, Accurate, Reliable, and Affordable

I was thinking that maybe if you could hold the material X and Y axis with some straps and then put it on a piece of foam so that you could get pressure on the bit and yet z height flexibility it might work for shallow engraving.

I don’t imagine that any material would be flat enough to get the same shallow height for the bit to just barely skim the z axis.

If the surface is irregular you should cover it with aluminum foil and use a probe first, or build a touch probe and probe it before cutting — list of designs here Shapeoko CNC Router, Rigid, Accurate, Reliable, and Affordable — bCNC supports probing a surface to map a G-code file to it.

I agree no material is flat specially in woods and stones but I will use granite which surface is even and flat
I not get your idea about foam. Did you telling put a thin foam board onto the granite and carve?

I’ve never done anything like this so it’s just like my crazy idea.

By using foam I mean to put the granite on. Since you are only etching. To kind of push the material into the bit and yet have a little cushion. A very loose foam like cushion foam. But it seems that you would have to make sure you set it up so that the material doesn’t move in the X or Y position. Are you using like a rounded diamond bit.

Many thanks for reply. I was try Sharp V bit similar like this ¼" Bit Set for V-Carving – Inventables, Inc.